Ae82 Single To Twin Cam 4Age Conversion

johnsparty09

Hello there fellow members!, I hav a new project. I have a 1986 ae82 rolla with the usual 4afc single cam carby engine. I wanted to know if the engine block of a 4afc and the 4age big port the same?. I'm thinking of taking the head of my engine and then installing a 4age head.

Is it possible?, if so, what else do i need to look into?

Members dont see this ad

The AE82 will be running a 4A-C, the 4A-FC was in the later AE92s etc.

The head will go on to the 4A-C and has been done before but it will require almost the same amount of work as dropping an entire 4A-GE.

By far your best and easiest option would be to find a AE82 twin cam donor car and moving the entire package with the loom, rear brake setup (they came with disc brakes, not drums) and also the fuel tank (for the better pump etc). This simplifies everything as you don't have to modify much at all and you can just use all the Twinky wiring.

If you're serious about it, donor car is the way to go unless you find a complete package of everything you need. Which is what I will be doing when the 4A-C in my AE82 shits itself.

There's heaps on information out there on this as well. These forums, ae82.net and toymods are your friend.

P.S http://www.rollaclub.com/board/forum/13-general-mechanical/ that's the place you wanna post mechanical questions!

Edited by B-Lugg

There is much more to it than just the top end of the engine. Have done this previously myself. Quite seriously, if your body, suspension etc is good, then look for a rough car as a donor and swap over all the mechanicals/suspension/brakes. Otherwise sell yours and just buy a twin cam. If you take your time, you will likely buy one for about the same as what you get for yours.

There are lots of differences other than the engine.

Buy complete sx corolla (they tend to sell for les than a 4age on its own! There was a complete ae82 sx for sale for like 1000$ not long ago)

Park sx corolla next to yours, install everything from sx car onto your car. Fuel tank, fuel lines wiring, seats, suspension, brakes, complete engine bay. Even the interior will be an upgrade, seats and steering wheel etc.

We did this to a mates celica (3sfe to 3sge conversion) lots of work, but a good outcome.

Don't do it half assed (just the engine), you will forever be chasing issues.

Edited by ke70dave

Buy complete Twincam corolla (they tend to sell for les than a 4age on its own! There was a complete ae82 Twincam for sale for like 1000$ not long ago)

Park Twincam corolla next to yours, install everything from Twincam car onto your car. Fuel tank, fuel lines wiring, seats, suspension, brakes, complete engine bay. Even the interior will be an upgrade, seats and steering wheel etc.

We did this to a mates celica (3sfe to 3sge conversion) lots of work, but a good outcome.

Don't do it half assed (just the engine), you will forever be chasing issues.

Corrected - there's no such thing as an AE82 SX