76 Ke30 Cluster Lights Out

ke30kb

Just got my dash back from getting re-vinlyed, I installed the clusters.

- Speed, Petrol and Heat signal active

- Park brake light and indicators lights active

- Speed backlight and the backlight for the petrol are out?

All the connections are in the back correctly, what could be wrong?

Members dont see this ad

Hi Kai,

Are you using LED replacement globes by any chance. If so, then the ones that are not working could be back to front, as they are polarised, whereas a normal globe is not. If they are LED globes, then take the ones out that are not working & rotate them 180 deg, and they should work.

Cheers Banjo.

Hi Kai,

There are only three (3) backlight globes on the KE30 dash. One either side of the speedo, and one to the lower right of the fuel guage. The one on the RHS of the speedo serves to light the temp guage. It is highly unlikely you have lost an earth, because the other warning lights are working. Does you fuel guage work, as it shares an earth with the dash backlight globes ?

It sounds to me like there is an o/c on the printed circuit board on the back of the dash assembly. The trackwork is "narrowed" in some areas, so that it acts as a fuse if a bulb goes s/c.

Have a close look at the pcb track work between each of the three (3) back ligh bulbs. There are three narrowing of the tracks.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Kai,

Here is the part of the wiring circuit you should be looking at.

post-270-0-03408800-1404120513_thumb.jpg

All tail lights, front parkers & licence plate lights at the rear are fed via the 15A "TAIL" fuse & the lighting relay.

The dash board lights are fed from the same source.

If your tail lights and parkers are working, then the fuse & relay are working OK. If the dashboard lights are not working, it is most likely you have lost a main earth connection for the dash. Off memory it is a "white" wire, or a "white" wire with a black tracer line on it.

The tail lights & parkers are earthed seperately, so that's why I think it is a common dash earth wire you've lost.

Hope that helps. Let's know how you go.

Cheers Banjo

Hey Banjo,

You're 100% right, thank you for your feedback! All other lights are working as you've said. It has to be the dash earth! I've been searching high and low and still can't locate the bloody thing!

Going to have another thorough look tonight!

That's for the help guys, it did help. Made me pay attention to certain areas. It ended up being that the dimmer switch connection was cactus. Once replacing that, the lights came on.

Did a voltmeter check and found it had no power to it!