Ke70 - Stretched Wheels

Hi guys, I'm going to buy a ke70/ae71 and be lowering it so it basically sits on the guards, but I want the swaggy drift look without it having a shithouse ride. I'm thinking 15x8 but not sure what tyre to put on it. I want a comortable ride since my young niece and sister will be in it. I know there's a million threads on tyre size, but this is also about a comfortable ride, a SAFE ride, and not letting the tyres slide off the rim.

Is it possible to run 165/45 or 175/45 without too much hassle?

165/45 is what I think looks the best, but I don't think it's going to be as safe as a 195/45.

I know I know, another ke70 stretch thread, but if you're gonna have a go at me about it, go somewhere else, or just delete it.

Thanks.

-Chris

Members dont see this ad

You're a muppet if you think a 165 will look good and be safe on an 8" wheel. Especially with such a low sidewall.. one pothole and youll be straight into the rail. 195/50 is perfect on a 8" wheel and still stretched a little but safe.

Safe and comfortable hey.

Essentially i don't see how its possible to have the 'swaggy drift look' without being considered unsafe to some, and uncomfortable to everyone.

Safe:

All tyres have a recommended wheel size for the associated tyre size.

eg:

http://www.federaltyres.com.au/tyres/high-performance/595

Anything outside that range, in my oppinion (and the opinion of the authorities and tyre manufactures) is considered unsafe. it is unsafe to have tyres as stretch as 165 on a 8" rim, that is why the tyre manufactures don't recommend it.

comfort:

With 15" tyres you are going to have a 50 or 55 profile anyway, so your comfort wont be lost in your tyres.

But to get the "swaggy drift look", the car is going to be low, so you are going to want suitable suspension. Good suspension for a ke70 that is very low can be a bit complex, but is crucial so you do not hit the bump stops on the shocks and so the shocks control the springs.

what offset are these 8" rims? i suggest you put good sized tyres on them, an 8" should really have a 205 or even higher, 195 50 on an 8" is a too stretched for my liking.

Why not go a 15x7 with a 195 R15 r15. perfect tyre size for the wheel and perfect tyre and wheel size for the car?

Choose the correct offset and you can get the tyres nice and close to the guards while being legal and safe.

Would have been covered here.

And 'swaggy drift look', and 'safe' shouldnt and be used in the same post. You stretch anything like you have said on an 8" rim its going to be as safe as driving around on space savers. Keep the 'swaggy drift look' where it belongs, on a 'swaggy drift track'.

Its not just not you and your family who are at risk, there are millions of other people on the road who have the right to be safe from idiots who drive cars with that kind of ridiculous stretch.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Thanks a bunch for the reply's guys. I appreciate you explaining why it's unsafe without saying "you're an idiot."

The rims would be 15x8 and zero offset. I have read that you only need rolled guards for 15x8 to fit in the rear with a 195 tyre.

john's SR20det KE70

The car in that link is pretty much the look I want. I'm not sure the tyre size he has on his car.

I know it's 15x8 zero offset, though.

I plan on getting it professionally lowered at a shop with lowered springs. I was thinking pedders suspension.

I'm not doing a shitty illegal chopped springs and stock struts setup. I plan on owning the car for at least a few years since I've always wanted one, but never been able to find one that hasn't been played with.

-Chris