Electronic Ignition Conversion

cherryE10

Members dont see this ad

Hmmm ke50, cool and rare car. Kinda like an early version of a T18 in some ways...

I'm going to try and be helpful here, I would recommend you use a motor that someone

has successfully swapped already, I don't think 5a-fe's are a common swap for a number

of good reasons. Plenty of swaps around that are a better idea. People have converted

fwd 4age's to rwd 4age's but it takes a few bits to get it done and its not cheap...

to be honest, i am only using the 5a-fe as I already have it after buying it by mistake for my daily 1998 starlet(mistaking it for a 5e-fe!!) I tried unsuccessfully selling it to buy a 5k, so I decided to use it instead of leaving it lying around. I already have a T50 for it(although without shifter). The engine originally had an auto tranny, so I will need a flywheel and clutch kit. That's not the main problem. what is worrying me is dizzy and water in/out elbows relocation. Even if i did find a 4a-ge, in all probability it would have been a fwd version, so the nightmare wouldn' t have been less grevious. the guy in the link you gave me had something even more complicated by using 4wd transmission!!!! at least I'm not into that. btw what is a T18?

T18s are the two-door fastback KE70s. 'T" designation from their T-series motors instead of the "K".

If I were you I would weld up a water fitting out of steel sheet without too much trouble, but the dizzy will need converting to electronic.

That means buying some aftermarket computer, fitting the cam sensor part to the dizzy base only, so it shortens the dizzy. The dizzy cap and rotor get replaced by the wasted spark system that fires two cylindes at once. More advanced (and expensive) would be to mount a crank sensor on the pulley or flywheel and replace the dizzy completely.

So price up the cost of customising mounts, radiator & brake system changes if needed, ECU & coils, machining, driveshaft and add a couple of thousand dollars for problems you can't see yet and decide if it is worth trying to resurrect that motor or just throw it away.

The car was bought without engine and transmission, tailshaft, radiator, battery etc.. and having stood abandoned for sone time. brake and suspension systems need upgrading too.

so since I am practically starting from scratch all the above needs to be donem

would have been easier of coursrle throwing a 4 0r 5k but a dohc motor is a better starting point. even with the k motor, I would still have spent €€€ on upgrades.

Ah- so it is not as bad as it seemed.

Chase up the conversions of dizzys to electronics, I can't think of any on Rollaclub that have done what I saw, but you just use the dizzy base to keep the rotating cam and fit a wheel to that. You can use a magnetic sensor or an optic one I expect, anything that sends a signal to the computer to fire the coils.