Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4K Gasket Variations?

Featured Replies

I've pulled the head off my 4k and noticed that some of the holes for the coolant are completey gummed up with crap on the engine block.

It turns out that the gasket that was on it didn't have holes in all the right places . I've got a new genuine 4k toyota gasket and this one is missing a few holes too. It's the same as the one that was on it. Are there different 4k gaskets available? There is a shim with the gasket so the heads obviously been off a few times already. I didn't have any overheating problems.

 

You can see the differences in the photo.

 

thanks

post-20979-0-49080400-1413702059_thumb.jpg

That is stock- they don't use all the holes, you can see they force the circulation around the back of the motor. that way they control the flow and can determine how to cool the whole block evenly. The back of the motor always heats up more.

 

Don't forget to throw the twin manifold gaskets away and buy a $10 one-piece inlet/exhaust gasket.

 

Are you pulling the block out?? This is a good time to clean all the rust and scale out of the bottom of the block waterways to prevent overheating.

Altezzaclub, where and what brand 1 piece manifold gasket do you speak of please?

 

Recenty coudnt find one..

Usually only found at exaust shops. Most shops call them extractor gaskets.

  • Author

Thanks.

I wasn't planning on pulling the block out. I've got another motor which I'll do a full rebuild on one day.

Is there anything else I should be doing while the head is off? The head is getting reconned.

  • Author

You can buy one piece extractor gaskets on eBay for $25.

..and I've always paid $10 for the Permaseal from the local parts shop.

 

Check all the thread holes in the head and make sure the bolts go all the way in and the nuts go easily down the studs. I think that's part of the reason the 4K suffers from exhaust gasket leaks, and the two-piece seems a terrible idea. Put some silicon sealant on both sides of the gasket when you fit it, and make sure the exhaust pipe is loose on the car when you bolt the manifold up. Once the manifold is tightened in place you can put the bracket back on the pipe.

 

If the carb is stock there isn't much else to worry about. I took the block out to change bearings as the wrong oil filter had been used, so while I had it out I tipped it on its side and cleaned out the waterways. Never took the pistons out at all, and I only did the bearings as I was modding the head and fitting a cam.

 

Its been a while since I did that, its all in here-

 

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/

  • Author

Thanks for your help.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.