Automatic Aluminium Radiator

Dzhoel

G'day guys

On December 21st i drove my Corolla to a coast to country ride day where we all brought our vintage cars

and had a cruise to a live band. Needless to say, 99% of these cars were 60's muscle cars Valiants, Kingswoods,

Chevies, Dodges, Plymouths, Triumphs and XY-XC Falcon 500's. It was great and my Ke30 was a real contrast to the day

where others started at 4 litre 6 cylinders, mine was a 1200 4 cylinder

Anyway, on the cruise it was 37 degrees in Port Adelaide and i was pushing my car to 90 km/h with me and my dad

in the car, keeping up with the bigger Chargers on the highway. However, it got to a point where the temperature

started rising and wouldn't go down and thats when i decided to diverge from the crowd and let my car cool down.

I thought i cracked a head for sure on the highway, so i let it cool down for a few hours and checked my oil. Didn't crack a head thankfully and i can't find other damage so i want to say i got luck. At the end of the day its a small car that i pushed too hard on a hot day and nothing more.

The temperature for me usually stays at the halfway point, but on the day it jutted just below the white line almost redlining.

A quick search of the internet has an array of aluminium 4 core radiators for sale seemingly only available in Manual configuration.

I was talking to a few mates and they recommended a aluminium 4 core radiator for they think it would solve my underpowered stock radiator that really isn't suited for Australian climates

So my question is can i get a 4 core aluminium radiator for an automatic ke30 or has anyone been successful in using

an automatic radiator from a different model car in their Corollas

Edited by Dzhoel

Members dont see this ad

I haven't seen an auto alloy one. Is everything else in the best of condition?? The water pump, thermostat, the inside of the block not blocked...??

I'm sure they ran OK when brand new, but these days plenty of K motors are full of rust and scale, the water pumps worn and the radiators old with blocked cores.

I made a thread about rebuilding the top end and thus rebuilding the cooling system

The water pump and thermostat were replaced during the rebuild and the engine block and head were thoroughly checked and cleared of obstructions. The radiator has been serviced, flushed, patched and tested to be operational and it still overheated!. It must be the radiator at this stage i cannot see what else it could be

The water pump and thermostat were replaced during the rebuild and the engine block and head were thoroughly checked and cleared of obstructions. The radiator has been serviced, flushed, patched and tested to be operational and it still overheated!. It must be the radiator at this stage i cannot see what else it could be

Yep, it does seem that way.

How about a manual alloy radiator and use a bolt-on engine oil-cooler for the gearbox??

Strange the standard radiator isn't up to the job.

Used to tow a camper trailer in the middle of summer with my KE35 without overheating problems. That was with a high comp 5k.

Before lashing out on the aluminium radiator, I'd be double checking everything in the cooling system to make sure it is top notch and fitting a thermo fan as well.