Rebuilt 5K Not Runnings Right?

5ksev

Hey guys, just chasing some advice, iv got a few years experience building these k motors but I'm a bit confused at the moment.

From the top, built a 4k

Cam, carb, head decked to 9.8-1, double valve springs

Got over it after about a year, so i purchased a 5k in parts

The build consisted of the following.

Pulled down my 4k for parts,

5k block,

Brand new shallow dish 5k pistons approx 7cc instead of the 28cc? That the standard D dished pistons are. ( youl see why soon )

Brand new rings

Brand new bearings through out

New graphite 5k head gasket

New sump gasket ( 4k sump used )

Crank & conrods are from my running 4k

My worked 4k cam

Brand new 202 solid lifters

New 4k double timing chain

Used but straight Datsun a12 pushrods

4k solid rocker setup

Used double valve springs from my 4k

Brand new plugs

Points type dissy from 4k as it didnt come with a dissy.

Note- i used shallow top pistons and the decked 4k head, to have high compression, 4k being flat top piston and chamber in the head, wqith 5k the other way around, flat head and dish piston. So by my 4k being 9.8-1 i was thinking the iv got 7cc extra in the piston dish + the bigger bore, my compression ratio would still be quite close?

So i built the engine and put it in, got it running yesterday to find it has a small knock ONLY AT IDLE AND WHILST WARM and also today i d given it another go and it has a miss when under load? It still pulls quite well, all the way through the rev range, but with a small miss. What could it be?

Also its struggling to turn over with a chaarged battery? Ill list a few things iv done / tried

*drained the tank of all old fuel, and filled it with 98

*New fuel filter

*checked cam timing is correct

*Used timing light and set it to 15*adv

*checked valve clearences and set them

*checked plugs which are black and dry

*charged battery

*jump started from d40 navara

Anyone have any ideas???

Members dont see this ad

The knock at idle is likely bottom end. Possible the big ends have bit to much side to side action on the crank journals. My set up is almost the exactly the same. I also have knock at idle that disappears once revs increase.

As for the miss fire or stumble, I'd say carby and ignition timing.

What carb do you run?

Is you dizzy graphed to suit the camshaft?

If its struggling turn over the ignition might be too advanced. Mark 35deg or so on the pulley with some white paint and use the timing light to see where that is at 3000rpm with no vac advance. If you have to retard the timing you will have to wind up the idle speed.

Then you know you have the right total advance, and you can look at idle and mid-advance separately. If you have less than 10deg at idle it might also get rid of the knock and if you're lucky, the missfire if its under 3000rpm.

You should calculate the compression ratio, I'd do it but I don't have the head volume for that flat 5K one.

Ok, so the compression will be about the same. If you use 5K pistons in a 4K the shallow dish removes the extra compression from the 1500cc.

Another answer for idle knocks is, sadly, a broken compression ring. It doesn't hold the piston firmly so you hear the piston knocking at TDC. Other than that, just go over it all carefully and see what you can find.