Ke70 Powerplant 18R Vs Modded 4K?

Bueno

Ok the initial budget will be somewhat blown but I'm ready to buy and I have two motor/gearbox combos available right now that I'm considering.

1) an 18RG with a 5 speed (its got a single carb but includes all ancillaries, extractors and a tailshaft)

2)a fresh 5K with 5 speed (has no carb but new pistons, rings, bearings, tighe cam, double valvespings shaved head, extractors and a 2" zorst)

Both are similar money and either way I plan to use a pair of 40mm dellortos I have sitting here.

18rg will have to weld some mounts, probably cut and weld the tailshaft, hook up a hydraulic clutch slave and pedal

5k will bolt up but carbs will need jetting down to suit (were previously fuelling a 2L so setup for that).

What do yas reckon?

Can anyone tell me what sort of power difference I'm looking at between the two?

Jes

Edited by Bueno

Members dont see this ad

Power probably not a lot of difference, but the torque difference will be great! We rallied a stock 18RG with Webers and extractors and it didn't really rev past 6000, a real tractor motor. The 5K will out-rev it, but the extra half a litre will make the 18RG faster & easier to drive.

How's the fuel budget? There's nothing economical about the 18RG. The 5K will be easier to work on, rockers instead of buckets & shims, easy to skim the head and find parts for while 18RGs don't like being skimmed & the parts will be fewer & expensive.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm not really worried about the fuel consumption side of things.18RG only revs to 6 grand? Thats seems a bit dissapointing for a twin cam motor,I'm surprised because Ive had pushrod red 6 toranas that revved tonnes harder than that.

Yep the 18RG is a good bit heavier, would need to spring and shock it accordingly.

Just wondering, though everyone says the 4k and 5K motors rev harder do they actually make any more power at those rpm or just noise? How hard is it safe to rev them anyway?

Jes

I like the 18R but yeah it would be a headache to swap on a budget.

I haven't thought about an 18R in quite some time...They are some tuff lil motors....My buddy back in high school had a '74 Celica with an 18R and the 3 speed auto, we were racing a 6.6ltr Trans AM and a Chevy truck one day, doing 120 mph or better at times, we went a good 50 miles without seeing a cop...the 2 V8 powered cars were not outrunning us. What's so special about that you may ask...(go ahead, ask)...I'll tell you. He had a hitch on his Celica and we just happened to be pulling a 6" trailer with a big (too big) load of firewood...and this is with other traffic on the freeway, not really wide open road, lots of maneuvering for positions (hey, we were indestructible 18 year olds)

He later converted it to a 302 Boss V8 /C4 auto mated to the original diff....it was what I can only call "a stupid fun tire eating machine"...it went down a steep embankment avoiding an old woman and kind of got folded in half.

• 8 years later...