back on topic.

my combination was:

3kb carbs (if you can find them)

compression

port match the inlet manifold

extractors and 2" exhaust

electric fuel pump

electric fan

up the ignition timing (approx 12 deg btdc)

with this in a KE35, you would go hunting Commodores and Falcons

And a MILD cam.

Side draught carburettors are also very nice, but not worth the attention they will draw from idiots wanting to race you, and also the police. Some twin down draught factory carbs (i.e. 3KB carbs) willl give you plenty of breathing with the abovementioned mods but without extra hassle.

That sounds a good idea-

Read through The Girls KE70 to see what I did. Straightforward and simple, it gives a nice quick and fun car. I've just put the performance parts into another KE70 as The Girls is getting a 4AGE.

Decide what cam you want, and don't go too rediculous if you're going to drive it on the road. Race cams are for race cars!

Sort out a Weber carb, the 32/36 d'draught is cheap, the single DCOE more costly. Both will need jetting to suit the motor.

Hurricane extractors (the blue 4-into-1) are about $200 new, and fit a 2" into inch & 3/4 exhaust system.

You should get the whole motor stripped & dipped to clean the rust out of the block, and then balance the crank and pistons/rods. Have them machine the flywheel from 8kg down to 6kg, it all helps.

You can port the head out yourself and grind the valves. Have about 15-20thou skimmed off it for a bit more compression.

The electronic dizzy is a great idea too.

Hit the wreckers for an electric fan, and fit a 90-85deg switch to turn it on with a manual switch over-ride on the dash. It makes the motor quieter and give a few more bhp to the wheels.

If the bores are pretty worn then rebore bigger. Stock bore is 75mm, the 5K 1500cc pistons are 80.5. Of you can find some other piston in between it will help with more torque, so spend a few hours chasing catalogues.

Read a few builds on here, some guys have done very clever things!

Thanks so much! I never knew exactly what parts I needed. That will help so much! Honestly can not wait for the next 9 months to come, will be bloody awesome driving the dirty 30!

And a MILD cam.

Side draught carburettors are also very nice, but not worth the attention they will draw from idiots wanting to race you, and also the police. Some twin down draught factory carbs (i.e. 3KB carbs) willl give you plenty of breathing with the abovementioned mods but without extra hassle.

I thought I said 3kb carbs...

5k's love a cam change. No need to change to solid lifters as say you have to. The club car I had would spin to 7500+ rpm with the hydraulic lifters.

He drove fast on dirt. I know my place!

So Lockie, are you going to have a go at doing all this stuff yourself? It sounds like you have some people around to guide you with it.

1969 sprinter is down in Tassie (he has a KE15) and is probably around your age. You should hit him up as I think he's doing similar stuff

Edited by parrot