Best Engine Swap For Ke30?

LockieBruv

Hey guys. Yesterday I bought my first car, a 1976 ke 30 sedan 5 speed. I'm 15 and 3 months so I can't yet drive on the road, so I have time to save money from my job.

I was driving my ke30 around in a paddock earlier and, well, I have already decided I want more power. I know the 4age is the most popular swap for a ke70, but I don't know about the ke30. Can you guys give me some ideas and the pros and cons of some engines?

Thanks

Members dont see this ad

You've probably read this reply, but just in case...

Start here-

http://www.rollaclub...ine-conversion/

It will be harder if you use non-Toyota parts, every manufacturer has parts in common over their range, but if 4AGEs aren't around then go for what you can get.

There are some great non-Toyota builds on here that will point out pitfalls before you run into them. The obvious things are often the easiest, the engine mounts, the hydraulic clutch setup. Other things turn into real headaches, like getting steering clearance organised, finding an LSD diff and wiring an ECU into a basic carbed car.

If you are also going to upgrade the suspension, brakes etc I'd suggest you do that first and maybe swap the 3K for something hotter like a 4K or 5K using the usual cam/carbs/exhaust. That is a lot more achieveable if you're starting out in the engine conversion game, allows you to keep the KE20 on the road while you prepare a faster motor, and you can sell it later when you're prepared for the twincam conversion.

I like the Miata idea, RWD, 6-speed g'box, good motor, lots of research and aftermarket parts sorted out.

Good luck!

How much experience have you got in building engines and fabricating/engineering?? That will determine how well the project goes and how much it will cost. (we're talking $5000-$10,000 here) If you can do it all yourself its cheaper, if you take the car into an understanding sort of guy that builds hot-rods and custom cars it will cost a lot more.

As I've said before, you might be better off getting more power from a K motor while you learn what the car is all about, it allows you to keep it on the road and have some fun rather than having a half-finished project sitting in the shed for years and years. Find a spare 4K to hot up, even if you over-bore it for more grunt, then swap it in one weekend. 4AGEs take months and months, or years for people's first ones, and other motors even longer.

You've probably read this reply, but just in case...

How much experience have you got in building engines and fabricating/engineering?? That will determine how well the project goes and how much it will cost. (we're talking $5000-$10,000 here) If you can do it all yourself its cheaper, if you take the car into an understanding sort of guy that builds hot-rods and custom cars it will cost a lot more.

As I've said before, you might be better off getting more power from a K motor while you learn what the car is all about, it allows you to keep it on the road and have some fun rather than having a half-finished project sitting in the shed for years and years. Find a spare 4K to hot up, even if you over-bore it for more grunt, then swap it in one weekend. 4AGEs take months and months, or years for people's first ones, and other motors even longer.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I forgot to mention that it already has a 4k with 90xxx k's. I have looked into it further and talked to my dad and dad's friends, decided that first I'll do a compression test, then I'll put a set of extractors on the 4k and a carby, maybe a turbo. I also heard there is a supercharger kit going around? Fix up the worn and wearing, and Dad said I'd be surprised of the outcome.

Look around for a 5K, so much more torque than the 3K. Throw in a few simple mods and you will be happy. With the bonus of being bolt in :)

Cheers. I decided what I would do which I wrote in my reply to Altezzaclub. My Dad had a datto 1200 ute 20 years back and said that the simplest of mods can make a big difference so thats the way I'm going

Just remember you can't legally drive a car with a performance engine upgrade on P's. And that will "technically" include a 4k and 5k, though I doubt a cop would care. They'd probably care about 4AGEs or Sr20s etc though.

Surely here in Tasmania you can drive whatever you want on your p's?

The best engine swap is one that you can do successfully, quickly and make it reliable so you can enjoy it.

No point swapping in a 4agze if it never gets on the road and if it does its always breaking down.

If it's your first real go at mechanics the 5k is a good way to go. Nice and easy and from all reports is a decent upgrade.

Ok, to top it all off.

I will look around for a 5k, if I can't find one I'll buy a set of extractors, a weber carby, and I forget the other modss my Dad listed. After all it is my first car, I don't exactly want a car with a phenomenal power to weight ratio that will get me wrapped around a tree.

That sounds a good idea-

Read through The Girls KE70 to see what I did. Straightforward and simple, it gives a nice quick and fun car. I've just put the performance parts into another KE70 as The Girls is getting a 4AGE.

Decide what cam you want, and don't go too rediculous if you're going to drive it on the road. Race cams are for race cars!

Sort out a Weber carb, the 32/36 d'draught is cheap, the single DCOE more costly. Both will need jetting to suit the motor.

Hurricane extractors (the blue 4-into-1) are about $200 new, and fit a 2" into inch & 3/4 exhaust system.

You should get the whole motor stripped & dipped to clean the rust out of the block, and then balance the crank and pistons/rods. Have them machine the flywheel from 8kg down to 6kg, it all helps.

You can port the head out yourself and grind the valves. Have about 15-20thou skimmed off it for a bit more compression.

The electronic dizzy is a great idea too.

Hit the wreckers for an electric fan, and fit a 90-85deg switch to turn it on with a manual switch over-ride on the dash. It makes the motor quieter and give a few more bhp to the wheels.

If the bores are pretty worn then rebore bigger. Stock bore is 75mm, the 5K 1500cc pistons are 80.5. Of you can find some other piston in between it will help with more torque, so spend a few hours chasing catalogues.

Read a few builds on here, some guys have done very clever things!

Dads always know what's best!

I reckon we should have a Dad's subforum where all the young blokes could ask a panel of Dad's what to do about cars, girls, how they could improve there footy, cricket, basketball etc etc.

We know everything.

And you youngen's could produce a new emoticon (new fangled technology) showing a pimply face with glazed over eyes!

• Upvote 1

He he. Took 11 and 13 yo at their request to see new Vacation movie the other week. Wasn't bad, except for the nudity and gratuitous language. Stupid dad (who thought he knew everything) just looked at the preview before deciding it was appropriate. There is one scene where rusty encourages his son to ask about anything he needs to know. I am still refusing to explain to my 11 yo daughter what a rim job is....... 13yo is pretending to know already, but I'm not going there......

Anyway, back on topic.

I agree with all of the above. A well built 5K will turn your KE30 into a fantastic car you will never forget, not break the bank, or take months and months of part sourcing and conversion anguish.

• Upvote 1