Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Wiring Thermo Fan Off Thermatic Switch

Featured Replies

Hey guys i have a thermo fan to setup on my corolla and have a thermatic switch i grabbed from an ae82 i think its on at 90 off 85, can't remember. Any ways looking for ideas on how to wire it into the car. I have found a few ideas and some must run 2 wires. This one only has a spade terminal. This is a pic i found on the net, an i on the right track?? Or is there ways to simplify it? Cheers

post-7052-0-48652300-1450093432_thumb.png

I've got one on the Hoonicorn, with a manual over-ride for sitting at long roaworks traffic lights...

 

The sensor needs to be earthing at 90deg, so check if its normally open or normally closed. You're right, some have two wires, some one, and I use a single. The Tridon catalogue is very good-

 

http://www.tridon.com.au/databank/documents/CAT079-Switch.pdf

 

I use a TFS111 or similar, on page 189. Single wire, normally open, closes at 90deg so current flows and the fan comes on. I can't remember if it has the correct thread there, or if its a similar one with the metric thread.

 

I put a dashboard switch going to earth into the relay line that goes to the sensor, so I can earth the relay and start the fan before 90deg.

 

The fan was $10 at the wrecker, the relay about the same, and the sensor was about $30 I think. It makes the motor much quieter and obviously wastes less power when driving. It never comes on when moving, its only when idling at the lights after driving.

  • Author

Legends. Thanks for the help, yeah curious about the way it switched with the one wire, I'm gonna look at putting one of the radiator hose adaptors for temp gauge and factory sender swapped out for that ae82 thermo switch. Ill see how she goes. Good onya lads

Make sure you locate the thermostat switch after the thermostat (I think - trying to picture it in my head). There are a couple of different shape top thermo housings on the mid 80's corolla's, Camry's, Cressida's that have the switch already installed. Would be pretty surprised if one of them doesn't fit a K engine. If they fit, a very cheap way of triggering you fans via a couple of relays. Don't forget to grab a piece of wiring with the correct plug.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.