Help With Starting

dysoo

Alright so, I bought a ke70 probably about a month ago, and ever since I've been having problems with it. Occasionally all the charge will drop from the battery, at seemingly random moments. It will start fine, then a hour later, it won't. I was stuck with this last night, and a passer-by gave me a jump, but it just kept turning over and not starting. He remarked that it could be the fuel pump. I don't have much knowledge of cars, just trying to learn a bit about them. I turned it over probably like 10 times at varying intervals and it started to catch and finally started. sometimes it will also start, but will jolt and cut out.

Don't hesitate to ask if something doesn't make sense in the post, i wrote it quickly.

Thanks

Members dont see this ad

Buy $10 multi meter, put it on battery. Try and start it and watch the volts. It should be over 12v not cranking and anything lower than 11 means the battery isn't charged up or its cactus.

If you get it going also check the voltage and it should be about 13.5v.

Just tried and started it then. I should have explained it's a new battery. When i turned the key, there was a bit of a shudder and the dash lights flashed.

@Fingerlickin_B When the battery is drained and I try to turn the key, i hear a click.

@ke70Dave Will try and get a multimeter on the weekend.

When it cuts out, it feels like when the engine is cold and you turn the choke off too early, which makes me think of fuel pump or it's not getting enough fuel pressure...

So, going through it..

If the red charge light goes out when its running, the alty should be good. If your multimeter shows over 13V when the car is running, you can be sure the alty is good.

If the starter solenoid doesn't click when you turn the key, check the black wire going to the solenoid for power. It may be a problem in the wiring or in the key switch.

If the starter "clicks" when you turn the key to 'start', then the solenoid is working even if the starter doesn't turn over. It might not be working enough to fire the starter motor, but it has power so any problems are not in the key. The lights might flicker or dim slightly when it clicks.

If the starter turns over a little but not enough to start, then the key and the solenoid are working, but you might have worn brushes in the starter, a poor earth or poor 12V supply, or solenoid contacts that are burnt.

If the starter cranks OK but the car doesn't fire, it could be fuel or spark. Time for a tuneup for the electrics- the points, condensor, spark plugs need checking and replacing if bad. Then set the ignition timing.

Fuel side, the pump needs to be working, but if it is bad you will probably suffer starvation when your foot is hard down overtaking someone, it should manage idle OK. You can take the air cleaner off and see if a fuel jet is sprayed down the throat when you flick the throttle open. If the pump jet is spraying fuel, you have fuel in the carb. You could take the top off the carb and see if there is sediment in the bottom of the carb, but that won't stop it starting usually. Pop the float off while you're in there and check the needle and seat. If there is a fibre on the seat you might be suffering flooding while trying to start.

This-

but it just kept turning over and not starting.

doesn't agree with this-

Lights on dash are coming on, but doesn't turn over.

Could you have a short circuit in the electrics that drains the battery?? A car alarm you don't know about (Which I had on one car..) or the stereo not wired in correctly??

Overall-

check the voltage when its running and make sure the alty is charging.

check the points and re-gap if they look newish. If they are burnt then replace them and the condensor.

check the plugs for gap. If the electrode is burnt away replace them.

check the timing. 10deg at idle will run it fine, no dizzy vac connected.

You could set the tappets while you're in there if they are noisy, it never hurts to learn these things.

Check for the accelerator pump next time it doesn't start correctly.

Let us know exactly what happens and we can start the next round of suspects... coil, idle cut-out solenoid, head gasket.. If you need a hand in doing any of this, just ask.

Edited by altezzaclub