Patch Loom?

grumpy69

Gday rollaclub folks

just wandering if there would be anybody out there who could help me out with a patch loom for haltech fd ems from a rotor to a 4age 16v turbo, it's basically brand new and cost the gentelman around $2900 but i scored it for a song after a period of tense negotiation and he said that all i need is a patch loom

if anybody could help me out that would be really cool thanks heaps

cheers

Josh

Members dont see this ad

Also depends on which 4age you are running too, trigger setup changes across the 4age series. I'm not even sure you can buy a 4age patch loom, its not listed on their website,

http://www.haltech.com/product/accessories/plug-n-play-patch-looms/

You are probably better off making your own patch loom out of a generic "flying lead" haltech loom, which aren't too expensive. There arent too many wires on a 4age.

Gday nissan feeling and ke70 dave

Thanks for replying, the haltech is an E8 with twin ignition module [only require one apparently], 4 coil pack, wiring loom, everything, have just spoke to the gentleman and he said that all i will have to do is cut the terminals and run wires to the corresponding pins ?.

I have two complete 4age RWD setups from radiator to diff =the one i intend using the haltech on is a worked monster port TVIS head with bored 7rib supercharged block, all forged and balanced turbo internals, T3 garrett turbo, intercooler, T50 etc, =the other is a turn key start MR2 4age, T50 wich came out of a ke 70 p/van that i found in a paddock that has been RMS complied 2008[have the comp plates]. the two T50's i have seem to have different stamped numbers in the casts and have different hand stamped numbers in different places top and bottom aswell, also one has a 21 spline shaft to motor and 20 spline to t/ shaft, the other has alot more numbers stamped in cast [eg 2-2 on s/motor bulge bellhousing and ext/housing, 11-1 on p/side, 7-1 on d/side of gearbox and several other what look to be hand stamped. the other has 3-2 on s/motor bulge and ext/housing, no cast stamps on sides but hand stamping also,what are the differences and which one is better/ newer? if i may ask.

also two narrowed AE86 engine crossmembers [25mm off each end] , this fits in and does'nt alter the geometries of steering, gives you a little neg camber and rack and pinion steering, the MR2 crossmember,engine mount setup out of the p/van is ready to go,

at the arse end i have two borg warner lsd's

as senior members any info or help you could pass on to me would be greatly welcomed an somewhat of an honour thankyou again for your reply.

hey gents, by the way i live down Byron Bay area so if i get stuck can i get in contact with you blokes, even come down have a look, a beer and the chick knocks up the wicked marinated chicken wing dingers

cheers

Josh

Gday ke70dave

so the E8 is a good buy and should'nt be to much of a head scratch to wire up? not familiar at all with them.

do you know what the numbers on the T50's mean? and why one has a 20 spline output

any info will be awsome mate.

cheers

Josh

E8 is super versatile. Make sure you upgrade it to the latest firmware and then use the appropriate halwin software. Be aware there are different versions of halwin for the different firmwares. And they arent compatible. Mine was sold as "broken" for this reason and i got it for $200:)

Other than that no different to any other ecu. Same rules apply.

As for the t50s. I can't remeber which is which but the t50 from the ae86/ae71 has a different spline count to the t50 from the ta22 celicas.

Gday ke70dave

the E8 I scored is basically brand new and came with wiring loom, twin ignition modules, 4 coils, ecu, everything, for $400, he also threw in a skyline intercooler thats in perfect condition. the haltech is setup for a rotory, hence the need for only one ignition module, and requiring the patch loom,

where do I go or how do i obtain the firmware to up grade or how do i find out if mine already has been upgraded?

also ke70dave, who would be the right person or place to get the patch loom made [i'm down Byron Bay area] and/or could a dumb concreter like myself do it with some guidence from somebody who does.

really appreciate the help ke70dave

cheers

Josh [grumpy69]

e30 = bmw e30, from the 1980s.

the software and firmware is on the haltech website, http://www.haltech.com/downloads-2/previous-products/

With the latest update there are alot of new features compared to the earlier ones.

As for your loom,

Depends how much you know about EFI? and/or how much you are willing to learn. ive been reading for weeks and weeks and I'm starting to get a grasp. loads of information out there, but alot of it is buried, and sadly alot of forums are starting to shutdown (damn you facebook), so some information is lost.

it can get fairly complicated, especially when trying to diagnose intermittent faults. of all the engines though the 4age would have to be one of the simplest.

how you wire it up will depends on which cam sensor you use. If it were me i would be trying to run the engine in full sequential mode. that is an individual spark and fuel injection for every cylinder. the e8 can run a 4clr in this configuration (4 ign outputs, and 4 injection outputs)

I can't remember all the details, but the first generation 4age "16v bigport" ran in batch mode on the fuel injection (all injectors firing at same time). Its not exactly bad, i had one and it ran great, but full sequential is always better.

To get full sequential you need to tell the ecu where the crank is and where the cam is, the cam sensor is often called a "home" sensor. I belive the later 16v "smallport" 4ages have both these sensors built into the distributor, i am unsure of the exact details though. you'll have to research this, and also find out what the 4agze CAS is, cause the 4agze doesn't have a distributor so i think it might be full sequential. If that is the case the 4agze sensor is the one to get.

As for wiring all of this up, its certainly a challenge. You are probably better off buying a haltech super long gineric loom, and buying some plugs and making your own complete loom. You never really know what is going on inside a 30 yr old loom.

If you were closer id come around and have a look, but byron bay is like 4hrs away!

Edited by ke70dave

Hey ke70dave

OK, an E30 is an earlier BMW, i have a almost brand new garrett t3 turbo[made in France] for a BMW with three bolt BMW manifold flange and 3" exhaust flange wrapped in plastic sitting in a box with all the rest of my shit.

So using new wires, if i copied the wiring loom from the mr2 motor [as i have just removed and labelled it, and the mr2 motor from my ke70 p/van that was a turn key, start up weapon]

would it work with the Haltech, monster port head, TVIS and turbo? because the MR2 motor is a smallport and different style injection manifold [not TVIS]

Also is it possible to use the later model smallport distributor in the monster port head to pickup the crank and cam? [probably stupid question] or is there two seperate sensors for cams and crank

What does the 4agze CAS mean mate and do i need this because i'm turboing it and for the crank and cams to be recognised ["sensed"] by the Haltech

Looking forward to the feedback bruz, thanks heaps

cheers

Josh

Much to learn you have,

4agze CAS = 4age crank angle sensor.

There is no copying looms here, you need to research how the haltech works, how efi works what sensors the haltech needs in order to perform the duties you are going to ask it.

In that link above is the haltech e8/e11 manual (e11 is pretty much the same as e8 just more outputs). its like 160 pages long, i suggest start reading that to get an idea on how it works.

Use the haltech forums alot, there is a huge amount of info on there. To save time figuring out how to connect your sensors, type into the search function things like " 4ag cas wiring" or "4ag tps wiring", you should be able to download a start up map from there as well if it's not on your ecu from factory.

Gday nissan feeling

thanks heaps for the reply mate and will definently have a look at those forums.

hey are you able to use the small port dizzy with monster port head and haltech E8? [they say the mr2 small port dizzy is the one to use with the haltech]]

any further input would be really cool bruz, thanks again nissan feeling

cheers

Josh