Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cylinder Head Mystery: What Are These Holes For?

Featured Replies

Hi all,

 

New user from Australia, having recently acquired a 1994 Corolla CSi Limited hatchback. I'm on a bit of a rampage trying to figure out what era 4A-FE I'm working with, and hence what can be done to spruce it up. I've found two holes on the intake side of the cylinder head: one for the EGR system (apparently never fitted to mine...), and another for some unknown purpose.

 

I've attached a picture of a cylinder head the same as mine (lifted from here). Bottom left is the EGR port integrated into the intake manifold (which my intake doesn't have), top left is the mechanical fuel pump (which I don't have, obviously), but the bottom right hole is a mystery to me. :S

 

Any ideas??

 

 

Cheers!

post-24889-0-69469600-1488872187_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

 

New user from Australia, having recently acquired a 1994 Corolla CSi Limited hatchback. I'm on a bit of a rampage trying to figure out what era 4A-FE I'm working with, and hence what can be done to spruce it up. I've found two holes on the intake side of the cylinder head: one for the EGR system (apparently never fitted to mine...), and another for some unknown purpose.

 

I've attached a picture of a cylinder head the same as mine (lifted from here). Bottom left is the EGR port integrated into the intake manifold (which my intake doesn't have), top left is the mechanical fuel pump (which I don't have, obviously), but the bottom right hole is a mystery to me. :S

 

Any ideas??

 

 

Cheers!

 

That picture shows a Gen2 4AFE as the injectors are not in the head, which is the same as a 7AFE. A '94 would most likely indicate that you have an AE101, none of the Aus-made AE10x had EGR.

 

EDIT: Actually I change my mind, you can still see the bosses for the injectors and the fuel rail bolts plus the ports sit higher on the later heads, this looks like a 4AFC head (which obviously wouldn't need injector holes) or maybe an interim head from when both the 4AFC and 4AFE were sold

 

The hole on the right doesn't look the right shape or bolt-pattern to what I'm used to but the location indicates it's the inlet for the water pump (well, the outlet from the head that goes to the inlet of the water pump)

rear-of-engine-resized-hose.jpg

cooling.gif

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

  • Author

Confirmed it looks like some sort of heater/coolant inlet/outlet, but I can't figure out what it is... :S

Here is another cylinder head that actually has the fitting, and this article shows a heater return pipe for a RWD 4A-C that looks like it would fit there... So maybe it is a crossover head? A deprecated heater fitting?

 

The VIN number lookup didn't work with my VIN number, despite the fact that the VIN on the build plate matches the one stamped into the body under the hood, so I have a feeling Australia threw together some off-cuts at some point. My hatch, for example, is designated an AE94 in the VIN number and an AE92R in the model number, despite the fact that E90 series ceased production in 1992 (except in Australia, where we continued production until 1994).

 

In my eyes this cased is closed! Thanks for the input!

Confirmed it looks like some sort of heater/coolant inlet/outlet, but I can't figure out what it is... :S

Here is another cylinder head that actually has the fitting, and this article shows a heater return pipe for a RWD 4A-C that looks like it would fit there... So maybe it is a crossover head? A deprecated heater fitting?

 

The VIN number lookup didn't work with my VIN number, despite the fact that the VIN on the build plate matches the one stamped into the body under the hood, so I have a feeling Australia threw together some off-cuts at some point. My hatch, for example, is designated an AE94 in the VIN number and an AE92R in the model number, despite the fact that E90 series ceased production in 1992 (except in Australia, where we continued production until 1994).

 

In my eyes this cased is closed! Thanks for the input!

 

Ahh, if you've got an AE9x then you'll have a Gen1 4AFE. The FWD engines also have different water circuits to the RWD ones so the Rollaclub guide isn't that relevant, also 4AGEs have different circuits to the FEs.

  • 1 month later...

OP's photo shows intake side... also the hole appears to be in the oiling area of the head....???

 

toggleclamppositioning.jpg

 

my USA head does not have it.    From where that hole/port is, I wonder if it is a secondary breather for blowby????

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.