5K Head Identification

Banjo

hmm.

trying to find 5k heads without lugs.

i find the only mention of a flat top atyle head (no lugs) is this 

http://www.athousakis.gr/en/product/cylinder-head-toyota-lexus-10890/

but u think the selller was unaware its not a 5k head.

i am now certain, there were absolutely no flat top 5k engines, only deep D dish, and shallow O dish. and i think the both had the same compression ratii.what exactly did the flat tops u saw in the 5k motor  (that u got the 95 stamped head from) look like? were they O dish? like this..

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/44933-5k-flat-top-pistons/

Members dont see this ad

image.thumb.png.3aea0d338c2bf3de9d5c84810be3423e.png

You may well be right, that Toyota never produced a true flat top piston, and that the flat top piston, Cameron referred to in the WiKi note above, is actually the shallow circle dished type.

Here's a picture Altezzaclub posted once, showing them side by side.

5a6018b79b341_5Kpistons.JPG.b3fa3ecc82b0e28af6d340f121393839.JPG

However, that's not to say, that true flat top 5K pistons do not exist at all. A quick Google/images, indicates, aftermarket 5K pistons out of China, with all manner of piston top designs.

The 5K engine I have acquired with this head ID no: 95, has shallow circle pistons, like the one depicted on the RHS above.  However, at first glance with the build up of carbon on top of the my pistons, you'd excuse someone who suggested it was flat.

I've actually got a set of brand new 5K deep dished, 40 thou oversized pistons, in a box on the shelf, that I picked up on-line, a couple of years ago.  Might use them soon.  

I was surprised to find this 5K engine still had hydraulic lifters.  I would have thought, that if used for speedway, that they might have converted them to solid.

However, I've heard guys on Rollaclub, say, with hydraulic lifters they've run their 4K & 5Ks up to 8000 rpm, & never experienced pump up, in the lifters.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Interesting discussion Banjo...

For what it's worth I am currently rebuilding a 5K of unknown origin with a head number 18... Nothing on the WIKI about this one either, but it has deep dished pistons (with the kidney shaped dishing). It has lugs under plugs 1 and 4, and is also missing the outlet from the rear block off plate. 

Edited by Wingsforwheels

4 hours ago, Banjo said:

Here's a picture Altezzaclub posted once, showing them side by side.

thats the damn picture i havent been able to see on here, until u posted it just now. it didnt appear on any device i used to view this website!

Wings, earlier today, i studied this picture carfully and came up with 18 as my interpretation of the stamp on this 5k head. what yah think.

https://m.made-in-china.com/product/Cylinder-Head-for-Toyota-5K-11101-13062-728423795.html

I'm currently in the early stages of trying assign part numbers and models to individual head stamp codes and databasing it for this site.

Edited by rebuilder86

I blew the picture of the head up, & rotated it 180 deg.  The first number is definitely a 1.  The second number is much harder to deduce, but 8 is probably a good guess.

Yes, so maybe it is a no: 18 head.

There is a no: 16 listed in the WiKi, but not an 18.  Maybe it is a 16 ?

Edited by Banjo

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll add my own finding, casting mark 100 and no lug under #4.  This engine is currently in my Liteace, and I have no knowledge of its history.  It had the wrong water neck and wrong radiator fitted, which I believe were both from a Tamaraw.  I have not been able to peek inside to see which pistons it has.  In Philippines car were imported in pieces and then reassembled, so anything is possible. 

IMG_1383.jpg