Re-building K40 Gear Box's

After blowing my second gear box early last week, I decided to try and make 1 good gear box out of 2 stuffed ones.

we pulled them apart on the week end, the box i just blew only had 2/3 of the teeth left on a couple of gears and the other one had a bent shaft through the smaller solid gear set.

so it took me about 5 hours last night by myself to put it back together, the hardest thing was getting all the little syncro engagement slides into place :P . I ended up trying to put it together about 3 times and would have to pull it all down again and start again.

anyway, I felt quite proud of myself when I was all done, cause i had no idea how to rebuild a gear yesterday morning, now this morning I could do it blindfolded!! ;)

has anybody ever tryed to rebuild on of these befor??

Members dont see this ad

I think just getting in there and having a go with no idea what you are doing is a really good way to learn.:P

wouldn't mind trying to find some REALLY cheap or free stuffed box's to rebuild now.

has anybody ever tryed to rebuild on of these befor??

Well done dude!

A while back I swapped all the internals from an old KE35 K40 I had laying around into mine after blowing a few teeth off the cluster shaft, and seeing as most of the gears from the KE35 box were better than mine I just swapped everything over.

A fair bit of trial and error was used putting it back together, but I got there in the end. Only had some trouble getting the selector forks all right. ;) :P

i totally agree with taz about getting in and having a go to learn things. as long as you take notice when u take things

apart. however spings and washers can be a problem...lol...

don't let this put anyone off doing they own work on their cars. it great i no nick will agree with me. :P

Edited by tmac101

yea i did one years ago with no idea what i was doing the only problem i really came across was those little ball (or rod?) thingies that stop you from putting it into more than one gear at a time.. took me ages to get them right :)