Progress...

mumblezzz

Yep, got the centercaps. I think they look better without.

mmm the car actually feels nice to drive again. I'm torn between risking driving around on bald tires that feel good and driving around on legal tires that don't have the same feel. I'm actually enjoying the lack of absolute grip. Wouldn't mind seeing how they go in the wet. :) Any reccomendations for tires after this set.

Preferably a 175, 185, 195 in a 55/14 profile.

HPIM0412.JPG

Members dont see this ad

175 would probably be too narrow, even 185 would be a stretch on the 7" rims... 195 would be the go, but don't know how easy they are to get. What is the stock size for the AE86? Is it the same as the KE35/55? The KE35/55 uses a 185/60R14, so to go to 195 would be a 195/55R14, a bit of an unusual size...

You can, but within reason. All tyre sizes have an "optimum rim size", I don't remember what they are but it wouldn't be too far from what Nick has stated. In fact if I'm not mistaken a 185 goes on anything from a 5.5 to a 6.5 rim, something along those lines.

The big craze at the moment in Japan is to majorly stretch tiny tyres on big rims, giving that "bubble" look. They look cool, but not really recommended because you have to run ridiculously high tyre pressures to keep the tyre on the rim...

Having a thin tire streched over a wide rim stiffens up the sidewall a bit. Which gives a good feel when drifting.

The 185 on a 9j look you see on those bozo mobiles is just so they can fit their massivly wide rims with stupidly low offsets under their guards.