Fuel Tank Relocating On A 55

Tiger

Has anybody attempted this?

This is a legal practice, isn't it? And will it require engineering?

I ask this because I wouldn't mind putting the tank UNDER the chassis to free up boot space and also have so I flip down the licence plate on the rear and fill up from there.

The result... more boot space and smooth lines on the exterior

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know LPG tanks can be built for a spare wheel well... so I don't see the difficulty in that. Eventually I would like to go straight gas... so I'm thinking to make an extended tank if I can.

Hmmm... decisions decisions.

If I went the spare wheel option, that wouldn't need an engineers I don't think...

Maybe?

We used to chop out the spare wheel wells on RX3's and run a pair of mufflers under the boot to shut them up on he road. (The was a flange just aft of the axle and on race day we could change mufflers in about 15 minutes.)

Not hard to do, just need to find somewhere for the spare, either that or carry a spare-in-a-can. :D

Getting a tank custom made is where the money would be.

Well, that was definitely one I was thinking of.

Drop tank style was one to think about. How big are those tanks out of the Toranas, I wonder?

Too big, I'll tell you that for free. :D

There also rare and expensive. Talk to someone like Brown Davis, they're in Bayswater last time I looked, they do things like custom LR tanks for 4x4's. I'm sure they'd be able to do something for you if you're intersted. I know up here you have to be accreditted to weld fuel tanks.

Have a look at the size of a ke70 tank, and see if you could addapt the body to suit, if its similar ? or go to the wreckers with pre-sizes in mind (size of diff, size of diff from back, size of wheel well.. etc) - and see whats around. Eg. 120 Y, 1200, 323, Sigma, Lancia, T18, Corona.. etc

Well, my brother's brother in law is a boilmaker and sheet metal polisher. He does alot of work (building fuel cells and chrome piping for turbocharged vehicles coming out of JPC's factory) so I know who could build the fuel cell. I'm just wondering if we HAVE to hack the spare wheel out and make a flat flooring in the boot and just do like a drop tank underneath... OR do we keep the spare wheel well and build into there... than again, the litre displacement is bugger all in there... maybe 40 litres, I'd say. I'd be opting for a 60 litre at least. That exercise I would do with the future of a high performance engine in mind so and upgrade fuel system won't be such a drag to try and do, it'd be all setup virtually, except the fuel lines obviously.