Paul

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have done a bit of an idea/concept sketch today, the plan for some time down the track is to do a full bodykit for my car whether it be this one or the re-shell. Had to go to pick up some styrofoam for a mate who's flat out doing uni stuff and needed some so I grabbed a few offcuts for myself thinking I'll use them one day. Got up thismorning and decided f**k it I might as well do a prototype for a spoiler.

Here's a sketch I did

spoilersketch0lb.jpg

This is all I had to work with so I had to cut two pieces to the same profile (width and thickness)

styrofoam4yq.jpg

foam12sr.jpg

Cutting to correct width to match the other piece on the band saw

foam20jw.jpg

Same size

foam36yq.jpg

And now have to join so it is the length of the boot

foam45vx.jpg

foam52oq.jpg

So this is where I'm up to now, don't have the right sort of glue to put the foam together so will sort it out later and put the ends on it.

The bumpers will be removed and then the body work modified for a full wrap around bumper bar similar to an AE82 how it reaches all the way to the wheel arch.

So welding will be involved.

But for now I have started on what I can afford / do for the present time.

Once the rear wing is prototyped I will do the side skirts.

Bars are some time down the track yet;)

Contact adhesive worked a treat, it ate the foam a little then seemed to work fine (tryed it on an offcut first). Seems to be holding sweet, just going to let it "cure" completely overnight before I cut it up mor on the band saw.

Working on end pieces at the moment.

Have done a bit of a photoshop job now to give myself and you guys a better idea...

spoilerchoppage4zp.jpg

Bumper bar will not be black, will be same colour as car. Taillight surrounds most probably will be black but still undecided on wing...

Excuse the poor shop job:P

First thing I have done today is lay a straight edge across the boot to get a few measurements of the curve. After writing down the measurements, masking two pieces of cardboard together and tracing a basic curve by bending the metre metal ruler, this is what I came up with...

spoilersecondstage19bn.jpg

After cutting the shape into the cardboard the next step was to trace on to the styrofoam

spoilersecondstage28pg.jpg

Then take this marked out piece to the bandsaw

spoilersecondstage34uq.jpg

After cutting you can get a basic idea of its shape in relation to the curve in the boot...

spoilersecondstage49pv.jpg

And looking at the cut edge and seeing the relief cuts is a good indication of where needed to be sanded first...

spoilersecondstage55ch.jpg

Cutting revealed that the contact adhesive had eaten away more than I had thought...

spoilersecondstage68cs.jpg

So I applied some more to a few offcuts which already had some on it, on the theory that the adhesive that has already cured is protecting the foam already so it will just give that little extra ridgidity at the join before I cut the shape off the top...

spoilersecondstage74hb.jpg

So I thought I'd post up some progress while I wait for the adhesive to cure a bit. Looking at how much it ate and the size of the gaps it left you would think it is going to fall apart but it seemed really strong still, I was quite surprised.

Tough as guts!!

BUT, don't throw in the cheese grater holes. I'd go mesh before I go cheese grater holes :thumbsup:

Rear Wing :(

Front Bar :D

Side skirts... just do an "add on style", nothing too overboard or fancy, as if it came off a jetspeed floor.

Now.. who's beast is that? (I see the name on the car but is he a local? Or off Toymods?)

hahah some bloke in NZ.

Its like an EF ? falcon front bumper and Ae92 rear bumper. Or is it the other way around? i can't remember at all hey :(

Yeah, remove the speed holes and some of the other crap, and its one of my favourites :D

Just got home from work and having a good solid look at that green machine. Just to elaborate on what I've posted so far and to compare what I will do with mine I'll run over a few things for you guys...

Top Left Pic - Mine will have custom sideskirts which I will make once I've done the spoiler and the alloys in that pic don't suit in my opinion. Not entirely sure what wheels I will go on mine yet, may utilise the corona rims I currently have on the car and just get the later 80's model Tarago centrecaps which look a lot fuller. And that is what I mean by "wrap around" rear bar as I mentioned earlier, only difference is I will be following the 'recess' in the quarter panel all the way around to the wheel arch. So some welding to be done (but not till i re-shell obviously)

Top right pic - Having second thoughts about flat early upright front as I was going to go twin headlight on the early front. Still think I will go twin headlight but most probably on the later slant front like I have now with the headlights recessed as far back as possible (may even make one of the high beams removable for an air inlet for track use)

Bottom right pic - God damn

Bottom left pic - Sorry to end on a negative, but my wing will suit the lines of the car better and my bar will be dead straight. And are those holes??