12a Into T-18

Brendo

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rx4 four speeds are nice and slim i don't think there would be any tunnel cutting.if you use a rx7 tranny or something a bit bigger tunnel mods will be needed.

also what sort of porting are looking at if any(go peripheral port)

Edited by too quick

How rare are the RX4 4 speeds? Would I pay through the nose for them? Wouldn't break it would I?

Currently not looking at porting really, just seeing if this is a doable project. A fresh 6-port 12a came up for sale for $100 with a spare motor with all ancilleries so very, very tempted to put that into my project car instead of rebuilding the 4K/5K. Cept I have all the required bits for a K motor. :lock:

Stock for they would easily keep up with a full house K-motor. Add exhaust and carbie and the 12a seems to be the victor.

Just worried about the driveline... diff etc.

Can see some change from $1500 though with this conversion.

Edited by Killswitch

well ya can go hunting around some wreckers for an rx4 but i doubt you will find one.i found one for $280 going threw freinds of freinds of freinds.they can be rare in good condition.they seem to be pretty strong a mate has one behind a 13b j port and it gets a flogen, it holds up good.

for $100 take it even if you don't use, thats a bargain. :lock:

hahaha, actually was just looking at that now. :lock:

They say the steel case celica box (W50?) is a good street box... see, even mazda lads recognise toyotas prowess ;)

On that note, how hard are they to fit into a ke70? Because 12a adaptor plates are easy enough to find. :(

Edited by Killswitch

don't waste you're time with a 12a, get a 13b. especialy if you're going n/a.

u'll want a series 4 RX7 turbo gearbox with an RX4 bellhousing.

These are a realy strong box and are fairly big but you wont break one.

you shouldn't need to cut you're firewall either. i didn't in my ke55 and you would think a t18 would have to have a bigger tunnel? you will probably need to cut a fair chunk out of you're x/member aswell to get the motor sitting a bit lower and further back.

don't waste you're time with a 12a, get a 13b. especialy if you're going n/a.

u'll want a series 4 RX7 turbo gearbox with an RX4 bellhousing.

These are a realy strong box and are fairly big but you wont break one.

you shouldn't need to cut you're firewall either. i didn't in my ke55 and you would think a t18 would have to have a bigger tunnel? you will probably need to cut a fair chunk out of you're x/member aswell to get the motor sitting a bit lower and further back.

How did you modify your cross member to get the engine to sit nice and low?