Ae82 Brakes

Des

hey people, i have a ae82 and my rear drivers side drum keeps sticking, i have replaced wheel cylinders, fluid and pads and it still does it so does anyone have any ideas why its still doin it. :jealous:

Members dont see this ad

the hand brake works ok but its like the brakes are adjusting themselfs up. i can sit on a hill no hand brake in neutral and it wont roll.the fellas at good year can't see anything wrong with it but it still does it slowly over a couple of days.

the guy at goodyear swaped just the drums from left to right and it hasnt been sticking yet but only time will see it still might happen again.how much do ya think it would cost to convert it to a disc setup or is it possible to do it cheap.

the have gotten stuck again and i can't get the drum off to back them off cause its to dam hot so I'm gona let cool down for a bit then try and get it off. the bit I'm missing is the little plate clip looking thing that stops the adjuster from turning all the time so its off to the wrecker to find a corolla with drum brakes.

i went to the wreckers looking for a ae82 with disc rear and there wasnt one there they said they would charge $250 for the hubs and calipers when or if they can get some,auto one wants $240 for a new master cylinder, and $280 for new dba rotars. thats like over $500+ for a disc conversion.is this worth it or should i just fix the dam drum setup.

what it sounds like it could be is in the back drum there is a cylinder with a wheel and spring on it, when you pull the hand brake there is a little spring (the one you lost i assume) and bracket that clicks the little wheel over to auto tighten the handbrake,

try taking this spring off and winding the wheel all the way back so its loose (you will be able to tell if you did it the wrong way because it will be hard to turn and the drum housing wont fit on again because the shoes will be pushed out)

this should work because it will stop automatically tightening the drum everytime you pull on the hand brake, if it does work put the spring back on with out tightening the wheel again, if it eventually starts doing it again you might have yo leave the clip off all together.

what happened with my AE82 was the prev owners lost the spring from the left side so only the right side would stay tight.

PS if you would like me to take some pics of what i mean because i did a sh*t house job of explaining it, PM me.

hope i could help!

i let adjuster back heaps hasnt goten stuck yet but only time will tell.as for money to do a conversion i am broke, got caught drag racing on the pacific motorway now i gota pay a huge ass fine and i lost my p`s, oh and i put new lowerd shockies in the front of me car so I'm gona be broke for a while. :)

• 2 weeks later...

ok the prob is fixed now i took the gringer to the little plates behind the adjuster and now they don't adjust at all so alls i have to do is adjust them every time i service the car :dance: