Surge Tank Opinions

Biggo

Well i have a suge tank...

Now its a custom jobbie which makes it hard for me to determine its orignial use. I.E do i fit the return line from the rail to it and let it have a drain to the tank or do i need to have a breather line like the tank thereby eliminating the above idea?

heres a (rough) drawing of my tank:

return line -

return to tank -

inlet -

outlet -

excuse the crappyness :dance:

i already have all the line/filters/fittings and just need to know what to do with them :abuse:

Members dont see this ad

JC807 - what are you useing for a lifter pump? name + part number would be useful. If i could scab your setup for a day id be in heaven :dance: but sadly i aint and it wont happen. Anyway, are you useing a relay for the 070?

The return line can be returned to either your fuel tank or surge tank. The problem with returning to your surge tank is that the same fuel can pass through your fuel rail several times, because it is only getting mixed with a small amount of extra fuel from your surge tank, the fuel your car is receiving can actually get quite warm, this will effect overall power cos fuel burns better cold. The advantage of this however is that your lift pump can be small, almost any low pressure pump will do.

The other option of running back to your fuel tank eliminates this problem, but also means you need a much better lift pump.Like a holley red for example(depending on pressure pump size). Remember also that your fuel return line should be as large as your pressure line. :dance:

That order will do! :y: If your fuel tank is below your surge tank then the overflow must be on top.

Also, if your fuel system is 'as above', you must be careful to buy a lift pump that will pull as well as push.Aftermarket Fuel pumps are usually designed to push only, so lift pump should be picking up from the bottom of tank, with pump mounted below your tank. Push and pull type pumps are available, but are harder to find.

If the above setup does not have a push and pull type pump, then it is simply relying on a syphon effect, which i guess would work........ but do you really want to? :hmm: