4agze Myths

rollacdmd

Well guys and am very interested in the new 4AGZE 20valve silver top with the supercharger (outta the AE101) however when looking through all the rolla sites can't seem to find any one with that exact engine in a old rolla example 1974 KE35 coupe. I mean i see alot with the 16 valve sprinter engine outta the AE86 but can seem to find any with that!

QUESTION 1

When changing that engine from supercharger to turbo is it true if you buy a awesome turbo and ur BHP jumps like 100hp do u need to rebuild the engine to cope with that new power?

QUESTION 2

also with that engine some of the AE101 have a 6 speed manual just wonder does that fit or do u need that T50 box?

QUESTION 3

With this engine is this true or absolute crap that u can actually turn off the supercharger and just drive around with the 1.6 ? with like a flick of a switch!

thanks guys sorry if the questions are a bit ingorant but hey just learning !

Members dont see this ad

1. That would be a 20V head on a GZE bottom end. The 20v 4AGE never came out supercharged. Its a conversion that has been done many times. I've seen the conversion done myself and my mate has 175kw at the front wheels in his AE82 on 16psi.

The engine with that head on it should be capable of 20psi no probs, depend on the pistons in the GZE block.

2. That s afront wheel drive gearbox. It wont fit a rear wheel drive layout.

3. Superchargers are electronically operated and yes you could run it like that, but it would be crap to drive like that as it would be a stock motor with lower compression trying to turn a supercharger that isnt working.

Edited by Raven

• 2 weeks later...

post-1616-1153968766_thumb.jpg

however the AE101 LEVIN is RWD

and its got a 6 speed manual standard so the question was y can't you use that box in an old 1974 rolla and the other point was u claim u have seen this conversion done many times yeAH in FWD corolla i still havent seen a old school rolla with the 20valve 1.6 supercharger!

oh and is it true on toyota forum i was reading that this engine is capable of comfortablely up to 300 BHP if u can get the right turbo for this engine? TRUE OR FALSE

The AE101 is most definitely NOT RWD. It is FWD. There was not even a 4WD version of the Levin (there were 4WD Corollas from that series though). The AE86 Levin was RWD, but all Levin models from then onwards were FWD.

The 4A-GE 20v Silvertop did NOT come with the six speed manual gearbox, it didn't become available until the AE111 which had the optional six speed with the blacktop 4A-GE 20v.

And as for your very first question about throwing a turbo on the motor, it is possible to simply attach a turbo and run it with a certain amount of boost using the standard ECU on certain 4A-G engines, but I wouldn't risk it personally. If you're going to turbo your motor, get an aftermarket programmable ECU and do it properly.

It is quite possible (and often done) to use the 20v engine with the T50 RWD 5-speed gearbox from the AE86 Sprinter/Corolla Levin, or AE71 Corolla. There are some small modifications that need to be done when converting this engine from the standard FWD to RWD, but I'm not sure of these, and the details are available on the net anyway.

It is possible to take either a 4A-GZE and fit a 20v head, or to take a 20v engine and fit a supercharger from a 4A-GZE. HOWEVER, this would be fairly difficult, as the 4A-GZE has the throttle body BEFORE the supercharger, whereas it is quite well known that the 20v engines have four individual throttle bodies leading directly into the intake manifold. I'm surprised that Raven has even seen any cars with such a conversion, as I wouldn't have thought that anyone would have bothered using the supercharger with the 20v head - why wouldn't they just use a turbo instead.

The most popular forced induction conversion to be done seems to be taking a 4A-GZE engine, swapping the 16v head for a 20v head (usually silvertop due to cost), and removing the supercharger from the engine and replacing it with a turbo. It is possible to get 400+hp from such an engine, with up to 550hp being achieved when combined with many forged parts and a crank from the 7A-FE 1.8L motor.

Cheers mate

i just thought that they were like the newer AE86 and were drift cars ahhahn thats were corolla went wrong with the FWD

so ur saying that if i want to go turbo it would simply be easier to just use the 1.8DET turbo or just the SR20 turbo in the old corolla and could easily reach the 350BHP mark

I really wouldn't know if a CA18 or SR20 conversion would be easier than a 4A-GTE conversion. I do know that a 4A-GE conversion can be done legally (I think even the 4A-GZE can go in legally), which may be why it's done far more. Really it depends on what you want I suppose. All three engine (4A, CA, & SR) have a lot of parts available to them, including turbo kits. You'll just need to speak to some people in the business and get some quotes I suppose.

I really wouldn't know if a CA18 or SR20 conversion would be easier than a 4A-GTE conversion. I do know that a 4A-GE conversion can be done legally (I think even the 4A-GZE can go in legally), which may be why it's done far more. Really it depends on what you want I suppose. All three engine (4A, CA, & SR) have a lot of parts available to them, including turbo kits. You'll just need to speak to some people in the business and get some quotes I suppose.

in WA anyway you can get the 4agze in to the ae71 and ae86 with no problems but you can't have them in the earlyer cars coz they are to light!!!

so you pull them off and get them over the pits, then bang them back on

it is the same with 13b, you can put one in to a ke70 but you can't turbo it :lolcry:

hey dude

not too sure but i think that you can actually drop the SR20 into a KE55 with the turbo and thats a big as u can legally go the KE55 weights like 820 kgs! i think that u would just sit and the wheels would spin like crazy though

just wondering i have seen a more 1.8DET engine conversions into corollas than the SR20 however just wondering y then when you look at the 180sx most of them have had the SR20 dropped into them y is that can u just get a heap more BHP or something!

and got another query the 4AGE vs the 1.8 DET which is better like if u got a standard turbo for both well use the 1.8 DET already turbo and give the 4AGE a decent turbo could u get more BHP outta the 4AGE the 20valve engine I'm talking about

cheers thanks

just wondering i have seen a more 1.8DET engine conversions into corollas than the SR20 however just wondering y then when you look at the 180sx most of them have had the SR20 dropped into them y is that can u just get a heap more BHP or something!

In short....yes. More power, more easily... but the engines are more expensive which is probably why the corolla guys grab CA18s over SR20s.

• 3 weeks later...
1. That would be a 20V head on a GZE bottom end. The 20v 4AGE never came out supercharged. Its a conversion that has been done many times. I've seen the conversion done myself and my mate has 175kw at the front wheels in his AE82 on 16psi.

The engine with that head on it should be capable of 20psi no probs, depend on the pistons in the GZE block.

2. That s afront wheel drive gearbox. It wont fit a rear wheel drive layout.

3. Superchargers are electronically operated and yes you could run it like that, but it would be crap to drive like that as it would be a stock motor with lower compression trying to turn a supercharger that isnt working.

I take it from reading all of this that the intake off the 4agze 16v will not bolt to the 20v? so just dropping on the head isn't going to be a happening thing without a custom intake to accomadate the supercharger???

(i've got an aw11 supercharged, just looking for a decent mod good for 100hp or so)