My AE82 4ac starts first crank when cold but not when hot

Hi guys, I've recently bought a 1988 corolla with a 4ac and it's acting up quite a bit. When it's completely cold it will start up with no problem, but when it's hot it is very temperamental, sometimes it will start sometimes it won't. It's getting very annoying as it's leaving me stranded a lot and I have to get picked up. Any ideas why this would be happening any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

I'm thinking it has an electronic distributor?  

This can happen with heat soak into the internal ignitor module.  At a minimum try and heat shield the distributor.  One it cools off, it will generally then start

What else happens??

Do you pump the throttle to make it richer when cranking hot?  Does it idle fine hot or cold?  Can you smell raw petrol at any time?? Its an auto choke isn't it?

Parrot's idea seems pretty good to me, otherwise the only thing I can think of would be fuel.

Throw it overboard and fit a 4AGE!

Unfortunately 4AGE's are also well known for it.  Especially those without a distributor heat shield.  Suffered it myself on an ae82 twin cam.

From memory the late 4AC in Australia had a Bosch unit.  Realistically it's never going to be reliable now.

Best bet to replace it.  If you can have it off the road, consider sending it to a distributor rebuild place like Performance ignition in Melbourne.  It may not be (very) cheap.  Or just try to source a complete distributor somewhere else and hope it isn't affected, and the bearings/seals are OK.  And heat shield that.

1 hour ago, altezzaclub said:

What else happens??

Do you pump the throttle to make it richer when cranking hot?  Does it idle fine hot or cold?  Can you smell raw petrol at any time?? Its an auto choke isn't it?

Parrot's idea seems pretty good to me, otherwise the only thing I can think of would be fuel.

Throw it overboard and fit a 4AGE!

I don't pump the throttle, i only hold it half way like the owners manual says. I can smell fuel especially after cranking and it is an auto choke but that seems to be working. A 4age would be very nice however i don't have a heap of money and can't find one online. And it idles ok, it does misfires though always has very mild though.

I have changed the distributor once before but that was for an engine with similar kms on it so i don't know if its in good condition, but i will definitely take your guys advice and try to source a new one. Any recommendations on where i could fine one? i always fine myself looking on the sparesbox website.

Thank you for the replys, much appreciated

I'm in Denmark so the closest thing i have is Albany, but they don't seem to have any corollas in their wreckers unfortunately. Is is an easy thing to do rebuilding a distributor? And would you know of any places in WA that would do that?

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2024 at 1:41 AM, Z4N3_26 said:

Hi guys, I've recently bought a 1988 corolla with a 4ac and it's acting up quite a bit. When it's completely cold it will start up with no problem, but when it's hot it is very temperamental, sometimes it will start sometimes it won't. It's getting very annoying as it's leaving me stranded a lot and I have to get picked up. Any ideas why this would be happening any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hey, one of my buddies had this problem, and he said it's because of the ignition system