Europe to ban repairs on cars over 15yrs old

If this gets off the ground we're doomed, doomed I tell ya..

If you can’t afford an over-priced unreliable electric car you vill not haff a car at all!

“With the internal combustion engine to be consigned to history in the not-too-distant future, recent information has emerged regarding the European Union’s plan to restrict repairs on older vehicles, reports EuroWeekly….Cars experiencing failures in major components such as engines, transmissions, brakes, or steering, and deemed old (potentially around 15 years), will fall under this category. Once labelled as residual, these vehicles would be barred from undergoing significant repairs and would likely be scrapped.

The regulation specifies conditions under which a vehicle is deemed technically irreparable or residual. These include extensive damage, such as being cut, welded, burnt, submerged, or exhibiting irreversible technical defects.”

https://www.technocracy.news/eu-seeks-rule-to-ban-repairs-on-cars-older-than-15-years/

They fail to see that the environmental cost of keeping my 40yr old Corolla running is far less than building me a new electric car!

Members dont see this ad

I reckon the closer to 2030 and 35 we get the more watered down the UKs rules will get. I think public opinion of EVs is changing, all those early adopters have already bought one, everyone else doesn't want one or cant afford one. 

Lots of commentary in the USA on how they cant move used EVs off the 2nd hand lots as everyone knows they have costly risks associated, replacement battery costs etc, and you cant fix them yourself really, far as I can tell all the parts for teslas somewhat restricted to dealers etc. not to mention would you want to to try and fix them yourself, its like fixing an i-phone, possible but the change of bricking it is high and then you really are on your own as they prolly wont help you if you touch it. 

Everyone in AUS seems to get an elec car on leases as they have the tax incentive, and you can give it back before it needs any real maintenance.....im as DIY as it gets and I'm not lining up to buy a  cheap tesla as its locked down and I cant even fix if I tried. One false move and the thing will brick itself in my driveway. 

The laws you suggest basically knock out an entire auto repair industry. people aren't going to like that. and how they can justify such things on the basis of environmental  baffles the mind. Crushing fixable cars, moronic. 

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more !  However, don't worry too much, as if it happens here in Australia; it won't be for a long time.  EV take up in Australia, is one of the lowest in the developed world.  Many new EV buyers will opt for the dealer buy back schemes.  Distance Anxiety, will rule out a lot of people who regularly visit relatives & friends in other states. Those that vacation in tents & caravans, won't be joining the EV line anytime real soon.  Once we get to the 10 year mark, & all those cheap EVs, needing a battery, sit idle in sales yards, the "penny will drop".  Anyone visiting Brisbane airport in recent months, has witnessed the thousands of new cars & utes, sitting in the paddock, after being unloaded from ships.

If they stop us servicing our own cars, then Canberra will be blockaded by 1000s of car enthusiasts, driving around "Capital Hill".

Cheers Banjo

According to a report on the ABC today, there ain't enough technicians to fix & service EVs at the present time.  Only 40% of all the jobs advertised for EV mechanics were filled.

So You will not be allowed to service them yourself, & if you take it to a dealership, they may well be a "long wait!"

My 1974 KE30 2 door, turns 50 yo this year.  There must be some category that gets placed in, that makes it historic, so it can stay on the road.  Definitely not converting it to EV.

Cheers Banjo 

But all the tesla evangelists have been telling me that EV cars don't require maintenance....

Family member of ours has a tesla model y and had a small incident where they rubbed the quarter panel up against a post in a carpark. turns out there is like 3 tesla approved repair shops in Brisbane.

Took them 4 months before anyone was even available to have a look at it to quote/order parts, let alone do the work. 

So if You want to save your "olde Corolla", from eventually going to the scrap yard; or be banned from the road, due to legislation, then the only solution is to "convert it to an EV".  

I asked the question on this forum, a year or so ago. "Who is going to be the first person to convert there olde Corolla to an EV ?"

One of the main stipulations is, that the weight of the final EV converted car, cannot be an heavier than the original car weight, as designed with an ICE engine.  That has made the early Datsun 1200s very popular, as they were extremely light.  There are a few on the road, & there has been an EV kit for a couple of years.

image.png.68880ab95e6470e054f7652790100b21.png

It certainly looks clean, when You lift the bonnet.  With an adaptor plate for a  corolla 5 speed box, & a bracket arrangement, to suit the Corolla engine mounts; similar to above, it should be quite doable.

The only downside is the cost. The supply & cost, of a professional conversion, is roughly going to cost $ 30K+, & for that sort of money, You could buy a China MG, with all the bells & whistles.

This discussion at the link below, is a few years olde; but may be an interesting read for those on here, as the car considered, is an olde Corolla.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

haha!  The ABC always holds the telescope up to their blind eye and tells a story of what they want to see!

So, currently wind and solar will never make enough electricity to pay for themselves, never mind the increase our electrical usage from electric vehicles, AI computers, and Bitcoin mining. Then again, they stop at sunset most of the days and the batteries to carry us through the night are unaffordable.

So, coal will still be king, even as we shift all our manufacturing and our coal off to China so they can send finished goods back. Unless we employ the Chinese to build nuclear stations we won't have them for thirty or forty years, by which time we will be using candles again.

As for the actual vehicles, it was just recently shown that driving an electric car to Melb from Sydney and back took way longer and cost way more... no advantage in being electric at all. If they don't catch fire first, they will be boat anchors within a decade as the non-replaceable battery dies, never mind that the insurance is wildly costly, as are the repairs. The second-hand market will be non-existent unless the Govt does ban petrol & diesel, and the next time I see someone driving a Tesla in any way except slow and boring, will be the first!

I think the public is slowly waking up, even if the politicians from local Councils to Federal Govt deny it.

But the ABC is interested in Musk being the richest person on the planet, believe that new technology will solve all the above problems and somehow reducing our CO2 emissions will change the weather.

Talking about EV cars as we have a gripe; I watched this video from Ed China some time back, & was immediately reminded of the lots of extra safety related work & time required, to actually work on an EV. So before you can even start to work on a vehicle, there is probably 20 minutes of safety prep work required, plus the removal, after the work has been completed.  This extra time, will add cost to the servicing.  It certainly is an eye opener, & would certainly, remove any chance of maybe doing a quick fix on the side of the road, should you break down on a trip.  Sounds to me, that with EV take-up, there might be a lot more NRMA & RACQ tilt trucks on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OcYZwMBHQ

Cheers Banjo 

To be fair no-one ever fixes anything on the side of the road now. Even flat tyres people get towed away as they cant change it, and the racq ppl wont change it on the side of the road as its too dangerous. 

My dad always likes to tell the story when he had an old 70s corona and it overheated but dad was happy to limp it home, and the Racq guy who happened to stop wouldn't give him water to put in the car. Wouldn't do anything other than tow him for fear of litigation I suppose. and this was 30yrs ago! I remember us waiting in the car and dad walking off to find some water. but he did  made it back with 4L of water and he got the car home. 

And I mean, I like fixing stuff, but if my 2015 dmax doesn't start, buggered if i know what I'm going to do on the side of the road. Apart form checking the fuses, I'm out of ideas haha. 

Yeah, you're right-  I came home last night to find the cooktop wouldn't turn off on  one element..  Turn the power on at the wall and it lights up immediately, one of those glass panels that you touch with your fingers to make it work. So I expect I'll disconnect that element and when the next one goes it means new cooktop, its all electronics under there and no-one will want to fix it..

I've always hated those touch controls, and looking up Bunnings last night I see they now option the same cooktop with knobs for control, only an extra $100...

Don't worry Mate !   You can always revert to this in your back yard !   

image.png.711856a2a8d50b94dad9f8c418491d48.png

No controls on this one, except a piece of free stick, to rearrange the coals !   Can't see a Bunnings in sight, in this shot ?

P.S.  Even makes you a cup of cha at the same time !  How good is that; &  no electricity bill.

Must be your backyard !   It's got an olde Corolla parked up there !

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

..and the problem was-

cooktopproblem.thumb.jpg.c0dce823e7f29c43122fa6d48f78cea7.jpg

Chinese relay.. I removed the wire and sealed it.   Still, now I know how a cooktop is put together and we don't need more than 3 elements I'm sure!

The other talking point flying around for a month has been satellite-linked data-gathering in cars. The public are slowly catching up with the manufacturers who can store everything about your new car as you drive.. speed, location, direction, gear used, rpm, how many people in the car..  Of course the Govts are making this compulsory in some countries, along with a Police-controlled kill switch that will disable your car.  The manufacturers will sell the data to the insurance companies and the Govt, so instant speeding fines and change of insurance costs.

I'm glad I lived in the 60s-70s, the future will be nothing like then!

That's Not a problem, unless they have that model cooker on the international space station;  & then you have to wait 6 months until the next shuttle comes up, with a spare.  Lots of coolish meals, methinks ?

That relay is cheap on ebay     Cooker Relay

Only $3 - $4 & it will be here in a month from China.

MPA-S-112A

image.png.cb14d9f5907e4dcaa50330c239d3454d.png

Looks like the contacts overheated & took out the relay case.  As long as it hasn't melted the copper track on the printed circuit board, & the solder, you be up & cooking in no time.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo