Clutch Idea

Teddy

Hey all

Well, I'm about to go 2 bed, so I'm not going to explain my idea, insted I'm gona leave this pic which i quickly whiped up on here, and i would like u 2 tell me ure first impressions of it - I'm gona explain it completly 2 morrow, so don't worry if uve got no clue what its about lol!

Clutch.JPG

Good luck tring to make sence to another 1 of my weird invensions lol

Teddy

Members dont see this ad

It will work, but I don't think it would work any better than a normal clutch setup. For one thing the only way to ensure it doesn't slip would be to put a fair bit of outward pressure on the inner "wheels", using a big spring or something to that effect. This in turn would cause a fair bit of sideways force on the shafts, possibly causing early failure.

Also the outer shell would be prone to distortion under high load probably.

The normal clutch setup uses the pressure of two plates pressing flat against each other which is probably a lot more reliable. Think of your idea as the "drum brake" of clutches... It would work, but I can't see it being any more effective or efficient...

Scunches up paper with big grin on face and thinks...

*Hymmm*

How about that gearbox idea nick lol - think how a drill bit gets held into a drill, and reverse the concept :)

ill explain when i get home from school this arvo lol

P.s - wow fookie, u really know ur stuff lol, great anwser!

nick - ahh crap, i new 1 wheel was too little...

hehe cyas !

strength would be an issue though, strength is always the best in a straight line, i could see the clutch in that digram getting snagged on a burred edge eventually and twisting till it snaps, not a good thing at 7000RPM or so having the clutch drive coming at you..

apparently the new honda jazz auto box has something similar, two cones rotating inside each other to provide quick sequential shifts (and they are quick, just as quick as a manual)

your design makes me think of a complex version of a manually controlled centrifugal clutch

you'd also need to worry about how much power it could take, and how you're going to spring the two drive wheels out against that power