Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Diff Upgrade

Featured Replies

Hey guys.

 

Ok, my plans for my car is to ungrade my diff center to a 4.5.

 

I just got quoted $75 for a whole rear axel from the wreckers. I want this cause it has a swaybar and mounts which i plan on putting on my car (KE30). Now the diff center on the axel is a 4.1.

 

This is what i wanna know...

 

If i were to grab a 4.5 from a KE70, would it bolt up right without any hassles??

 

Meaning are the borg warner diffs the same in the Ke70's as they are in the KE55's??

 

The reason i ask this is because i've heard that the gearboxes in the KE70's are differant due to the shifter hole being further back.

 

Anyone know??

My '81 KE55 (e series) had a swaybar on the diff. Its the only reason that I couldn't be f@$ked taking the diff out before I sent it to scrap, because I was too lazy to work out the go with swaybars, haha.

 

You can't get a 4.5 from a KE70 dude, I discussed this with you on MSN. They're 3.9s, and 4.5s from KE36's. I don't recommend you using the 4.5 for road use. Also, the 4.5 is a 'jap' ratio, therefore it won't fit your BW.

 

Anyway, someone with some more experience may be able to shed some light on this subject.

 

Dan.

as dan said they are a Jap housing and with a 4.5 you will get worse feul economy and rev the hell out of the car if you were to change centres go for somthing like a 3.9 it will rev less causing betta fuel economy

If i were to grab a 4.5 from a KE70, would it bolt up right without any hassles??

As stated, no such animal. Ke70 also have a link back end, and therefore you would have to put spring shackles onto the new diff housing. Alot of work for no real gain.

 

 

The reason i ask this is because i've heard that the gearboxes in the KE70's are differant due to the shifter hole being further back.

 

Anyone know??

The shifter hole maybe further back, however the overall length of the gearbox is the same. Same tail shaft can be used netween the two different boxes.

dude youe looking at ~$600 for a 4.5 ratio and even then it will only fit a jap diff.

 

good luck tho, you'll need it :)

if you got a 3.9 banjo diff out of a KE70 wagon/panelvan that would bolt in

Buy a KE55 5 speed. The shifters are in different positions (the KE70 one is a little further back. Apparently, this requires cutting and bending). How tall are you? My mates KE35 with a '55 5 speed in it has a excellent shifter position, I am 6'2.

Stick with the 4.1 jap diff dude. Best diff for your situation!

 

Biggo, 4.5 diff for $600? You gotta be dreamin to ask for that man, you can pick up ke36 wagons for a couple of hundred!

  • Author

I too am 6 foot and i do like the location of my shifter. That and i don't wanna be cutting holes in my car. Plus i'd lose my KE55 console. I plan on sticking with the KE55 5 speed. I was never intending on getting one out of a KE70. The only reason i mentioned it was cause i know that they are differant to KE55 ones and I wanted to know if their diffs were differant too.

 

Thanks for everyones advice. I'll mostlikely just end up with a 4.1

how heavy is your foot? Used to get approx. 32mpg with 4.3 in a KE35 reving around 3100rpm in 5th (don't quote me on that figure as a few too many brain cells have been killed since Ive had that car :lock_folder: )

The above was with a 5 speed from a KE70

Edited by coln72

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.