Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Changing A 4k Head Gasket

Featured Replies

I searched a bit and read the FAQ but thought I'd make a newer thread with some questions!

 

I assume its fairly easy to replace due to the pushroddy goodness? However I've never replaced a head gasket. Do I need to set it at TDC (can't see why bar for the valve clearances?) any tricks with the pushrods?

 

Assuming the head isn't warped or visibly rooted is it still worth getting it skimmed? It has been in the red a few times and the oil is nice and watery... ;) (although the car did cost me a bottle of canadian club!) Guess I'll look at the gasket when it comes off and see where it blew out. hope to god its not cracked!

 

Also, once its all put back together... how the hell do I 'clean' the engine? flushing the coolant system is easy enough... but the oil? just buy some cheap oil and run it through with a new filter for a bit? then replace it with quality oil and a new filter?

 

Do I need to use any 'gasket goo' of any sort, I didn't think so but a mate of mine thought so?

 

Thanks all, feel like I've got a few more questions but can't remember em right now!

 

Danno

 

 

edit: added 1 question

Edited by Killswitch

  • Author

Found me one answer on the interweb and from a past thread.

 

Measure the cylinder head and block surfaces with a straight edge and a feeler gauge. If the gap exceeds 0.051 mm (.0002") at any point then the surface must be machined.

don't need gasket goo at all for the head gasket but you probably will for stuff like manifold gaskets etc.

 

Shouldnt need to set at tdc unless the dizzy comes out.

I searched a bit and read the FAQ but thought I'd make a newer thread with some questions!

 

I assume its fairly easy to replace due to the pushroddy goodness? However I've never replaced a head gasket. Do I need to set it at TDC (can't see why bar for the valve clearances?) any tricks with the pushrods?

No you don't need to set it to TDC, unless you remove the dizzy like coln72 said, but you don't need to do this anyway changing a H/G. with the pushies, remove the head bolts, remove the head, and then just pull them out. clean up the block, the do the reverse, but you might want to loosen the rocker adjusters befor you put the head back on.

 

Assuming the head isn't warped or visibly rooted is it still worth getting it skimmed? It has been in the red a few times and the oil is nice and watery... :D (although the car did cost me a bottle of canadian club!) Guess I'll look at the gasket when it comes off and see where it blew out. hope to god its not cracked!

get it machined anyway for piece of mind, only cost me $44 last time. time befor that I didn't bother and it blew another one in a week!!! :D

 

Also, once its all put back together... how the hell do I 'clean' the engine? flushing the coolant system is easy enough... but the oil? just buy some cheap oil and run it through with a new filter for a bit? then replace it with quality oil and a new filter?

If it has sat for a while and there is a fair bit of water in the oil, you find most of the water will be sitting in the bottom of the sump under the oil (remeber oil floats on water), when I blew one bad once, removed the sump plug and had at least 10 seconds worth of clean water drain befor I even saw oil!!! ;) but yeah just do what you said aswell. :)

 

Do I need to use any 'gasket goo' of any sort, I didn't think so but a mate of mine thought so?

use some goo on other gaskets like manifolds etc as mention, but for the H/G, get a can of "copper gasket" which is in an airasole can, give each side a spray and put her back together. just try not to breath to much of it in - I noticed AFTER using it the first time that on the back of the can it says "this product is know to the state of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm"!!! :P

 

Thanks all, feel like I've got a few more questions but can't remember em right now!

 

Danno

edit: added 1 question

 

 

BTW, genuine toyota H/G's are like $80 odd, just get a "permaseal" or other gasket, they're just as good for like $23!!! they'll have the torque specs on a piece of paper with the gasket aswell. :o

  • Author

phwoar, cheers dude! Answers all the q's! awesome. Wanted to have it done by the weekend but with the machining guess I'll have to waiiiiit unless I pull some strings ;) .

 

Thanks taz

  • Author

sweetness, did some work at an engine recon place. Will see if they can slot it in before friday!

 

just thought I'd ad a pic for shits and giggles... took this earlier today.

 

2006_0809Image0006%20(Medium).JPG

 

;)

  • Author

turns out it wasn't the gasket... although it did look a bit rooted in places the main culprit was this!

 

 

2006_0810Image0004%20(Medium).JPG

 

Buggah!

 

Guess my next question will be... how hard is it to change a cam? :)

  • Author

On the upside, just found out that the weber is a 32/36 DFV. ...yay? :D :)

cracked piston

but why is there water in your oil?

  • Author

Actually, the gasket could have been fubar I dunno. The head was ripped off in a hurry to get it to the shop before I had to be elsewhere. Will get it back tomorrow and have a look although the head was pretty rooted so maybe it was that.

 

:)

Hahaha, ahh, I should of took a pic of the inside of my rocker cover when I blew my headgasket.

 

Looked like someone spilt a malt milkshake in it.

 

:)

  • Author
Hahaha, ahh, I should of took a pic of the inside of my rocker cover when I blew my headgasket.

 

Looked like someone spilt a malt milkshake in it.

 

:)

 

Like this? :D

 

 

2006_0810Image0011%20(Medium).JPG

Edited by Killswitch

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.