Finally Resolved

SoulSearcher

Ok, everyone would know by my previous posts that I've had a fair bit of mechanical trouble with my pride and joy. Well finally I cracked the sh*ts, requested that a mechanic come for a drive and listen to my car and the results are as follows:

On an oil consumption test over 1000 klms, my car used 1.6lt of oil. Yep, one point six litres!

The noise that they heard was piston slap

The compression test they did showed that cyl number 4 was the problem.

They did wet and dry testing (still not sure what that is) and it was bad

They took the head off and there was damage in cyl number 4 (as was expected).

So, they have the car for a month, and I'm getting a new engine.

Cost: zilch! :( It's covered under the Toyota Extra Care warranty program

I just LOVE Toyota :)

How lucky am I?! VERY!

I'll have the car back by November :abuse:

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7AFTE piston slap.. Darn, thats the ONLY case ive ever herd of. I'm tending to believe that the 7afte is just a 7afe standard motor, possibly decompressed with just a turbo added; Some say they are a weak bottom end, others say otherwize. At work, i can't remember the last time we got an Ae92/Ae101/Ae112r type corollas in with the 7afe that was giving any motor problems !

According to my info the 7A-FE with Turbo (as Toyota refer to it) has the same 9.5:1 compression ratio as the standard 7A-FE (or 7A-FE with turbo without turbo as I refer to it :( ). I don't know how much boost they run, but considering the engine only made 115kW (vs. 85 non-turbo) and 237Nm (vs. 154 non-turbo), I don't think it would be running very high boost at all. Maybe 8psi maximum, but I doubt even that.

oh, they also discovered that my exhaust manifold had a couple of cracks in it and they're going to replace that too.

I asked them to replace the timing belt whilst everything was pulled off and they're going to send the turbo off for testing and if it's faulty they said they'll replace that too.

Golly! I have no idea why they're doing all this for me (I expected there to be a cap of some sort, like we'll pay up to $5K then you're responsible), but I'm so glad, thankful, grateful I'm almost prompted to write a letter :jamie:

Lesley :P

Edited by SoulSearcher

I'm also getting a new clutch, and a water pump, and my bumpers in getting repaired, they said that my car had a VERY hard life before I owned it. I'm just lucky the Toyota guy likes me, have to think of a fabbo christmas present for him...

any suggestions??

He races an RX7, he has a subaru thing you know the coupes with the funny windows - all the ones I've seen are burgundy and I think he has a couple of other cars......

Lesley :2thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

It actually looks pretty much the same, but a smidgey bit cleaner!

My BOV works properly now, LOL zoom to 2000rpm and pssshhhttt! Running it in is interesting though, I'm varying my speeds and my revs but I'm really noticing that it's hard to constantly change, I'm always on 2500 or 3800 or 4200 so if you're behind me, expect fluctuating speeds!! :cool:

My next plan to be put into action (tomorrow actually) is to get a new BOV, one that is one way because the one I have in the car (according to toyota).... "when you get to a certain constant cruising speed the turbo disengages, thereby making your BOV sort of like a vacuum and unfiltered air goes back into the system" it's the "unfiltered air" part that's worrying me.

I think that's the gist of it.

I'm also going to chrome up the piping, and put anodised fittings on the hoses and put that braided coloured hosing in *gotta hate that discription!!!* (leaving to find a picture) ....

post-1090-1161960370_thumb.jpgpost-1090-1161960389_thumb.jpg

Lesley :)

OK, well after much driving, I finally hit well 870klm's I prebooked my car in for it's 1000klm service and spent a day home when I should have been out driving but put it in for it's service anyway, with mention about some minor issues (which I thought were minor)....

I got a call on Friday afternoon and they told me that my Turbo was shagged and that they would be replacing it under warranty and they'd like the car for at least a week (possibly a week and a half) because of the Melbourne Cup and parts not arriving until Thursday.

So, I don't have my car for the time being.... AARRGGGHHH!!!!

Lesley ;)