Corolla Ke30 Ca18det

sleepercorty

motor is looking a bit sad so have decided to do the rebuild while its still running and doesnt have a rod throught the side of the block. oil pump seems to be starting to give up. have big plans for the car so am not going to do a half arsed job so will probably be 6 months before it sees the road again, havent decided how far i want to go but somewhere between 320rwhp and 400rwhp is the goal.

reserve car is getting ready for powercruise (1jz cressida) so it now has 3 inch exhaust and some more boost and deciding weither to do dump pipes before powercruise.

• 2 months later...
Members dont see this ad

Car is alive again with new motor which now has acl .5mm (20thou) forged pistons, spool conrods, arp head studs, acl multi layer headgasket, acl extra series bearings, cam gears, 3 angle valve job. We pulled turbo down and fitted a bigger shaft and wheel but still having surging problems over 16psi (probably has someting to do with still running a .48 exhaust housing) so am changing to a .7 split pulse t3 housing and a bigger shaft and wheel again. While its apart i am also making to new exhaust manifold as i am currently running a chinese stainless one, so should be able to pick up another 10-20rwhp with the bigger housing and better manifold but the dyno will tell that soon enough. Injectors will be the next hold up as they are only 440cc so think they will but an end to the fun at about 300-320rwhp but they will have to do for now while i save for cams and bigger injectors. I'm hoping that 300rwhp will get me somewhere around 11.7 at 116mph. (previously ran 12.07 with 274rwhp). I will post some pics when manifold is getting closer.

• 3 months later...
anybody know where to buy decent camshafts for a ca18? does anyone local do them or are there only tomei and so on available?

since you're on that side of the globe, u can probably reseach this.

In thread here;

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...345355&st=0

owner told me, that impressive/torquey CA18 ran a pair of

"256 degree Duration - 8.9mm lift regrinds from Wade cams.... direct drop-in"

Perfect for my needs.

A couple austarion.com clubmembers extremely pleased with their Wade regrinds

Tones old 20G CA18 street beast (on sxoc) ran Piper "reprofiles".

I've seen other motors perform fabulously using regrind cams... as I've ran one in

my old pushrod toyota 3TC. Made a startling difference!

I actually spanked 2 hondas with that little 2 dr sedan. When I let off and they

pulled up alongside, I rolled the window down and said, "v-tech that!" lol

So I know for a fact a quality designed/reground cam can work well.

Interested in your results if u go this route

If no luck with the Wade (or Tomei), I'll probably hit up Iskenderian cams in the

u.s., as they did the cam for my 3T.

Revitalized CA18 interested seems like there is a market, where Tomei limited production may not cut it

brian crower cams are always good value, they pop up a bit secound hand.

Locally in bris there are quite a few cam shops,

there is a place called 'camshaft engineering' from memory, they were real cheap.

then ivan tighe are a good price too,

i know crow cams does all the jap cams now too but they are pricey.

did a bit of road tuning and cat convertor was definately the problem had partly blocked up and wouldnt make power past 5000rpm. camshafts were to dear so just used a non turbo ca18 intake cam which has 6 degrees more duration and .7mm more lift than the turbo intake cam. so hopefully will give a little gain.

should be ready to go back on dyno soon.