Ke70, Auto To Manual

Trbo3ltr

hey guys,

planning to do a drive line swap in my ke70. would just like to know what i will need for the conversion.

engine is a 4kc, planning to use either 4 or 5 speed man box. I'm guessing, for the conversion, i will need

-box

-tailshaft

-pedel box (or just the clutch pedel itself???)

-clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, thrust bearing (all which i will more or less buy brand new or in a kit form)

-starter motor???

-spigot bearing (are they diff between auto and manual???)

now, i have done a few conversions on other cars so its not out of the ordinary. I'm just tryin to get everythin together before i start this.

ide like to know exactly what else is needed or what can be used, also gearbox mounts etc

wats different and what do i need to look out for are the mains things..

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

Having done this conversion myself I can give you some comprehensive answers. You need the whole pedal box (brake and clutch pedal come together). You'll have to pretty much take the whole dash out for this. Starter motors are the same auto to manual. You will need a spigot bearing, the autos don't have one. Grab a manual engine sub-loom, this will have all the connectors for your reverse lights and neutral switch. You don't absolutely need it but if you don't get it just remember to loop the neutral switch which is on the shifter for the autos or you wont be able to start the car. You will also have to cut the shifter hole back a bit. You need a clutch cable, fork connector (don't miss this part!!) and the adjuster which is spot welded to the firewall. You need to drill the hole for the clutch cable and then you will have to attach the adjuster cup to the firewall somehow. You will need a manual gearbox cross member and gearbox mount. I think you also need all the manual bellhousing bolts (from memory the auto ones are different...but they may not be....).

Other than that you've got it pretty much covered. I'll do an FAQ article for this eventually.

Having done this conversion myself I can give you some comprehensive answers. You need the whole pedal box (brake and clutch pedal come together). You'll have to pretty much take the whole dash out for this. Starter motors are the same auto to manual. You will need a spigot bearing, the autos don't have one. Grab a manual engine sub-loom, this will have all the connectors for your reverse lights and neutral switch. You don't absolutely need it but if you don't get it just remember to loop the neutral switch which is on the shifter for the autos or you wont be able to start the car. You will also have to cut the shifter hole back a bit. You need a clutch cable, fork connector (don't miss this part!!) and the adjuster which is spot welded to the firewall. You need to drill the hole for the clutch cable and then you will have to attach the adjuster cup to the firewall somehow. You will need a manual gearbox cross member and gearbox mount. I think you also need all the manual bellhousing bolts (from memory the auto ones are different...but they may not be....).

Other than that you've got it pretty much covered. I'll do an FAQ article for this eventually.

Would anyone know if I would have to do any of this if I did the same thing but used a 3K 4speed box and chucked it into a manual KE25?

sweet as mate. yeah well i was thinking about all the cables and stuff also, and thanks for reminding me about the neutral safety switch, done it on a vl turbo once before.

are flywheels different?

ill try and get some pics when i get around to doing this.

it will be a pick n payless job so thats where ill be getting everything and the ke70s are in abundance

Would anyone know if I would have to do any of this if I did the same thing but used a 3K 4speed box and chucked it into a manual KE25?

Manual to manual is very simple. Theres little difference between the K manual gearboxes. The only major thing that changes is the shifter position.

• 1 year later...