Filling A Diff/gearbox With Oil

demuire

Found this on the Datto1200 site (infinite source of fun):

http://datsun1200.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=2441

Can't post pic here unfortunately, the site doesn't quite allow linking of photos but you can see it with the link :)

Thought it was rather neat, especially for diffs (gearboxes you can usually fill them from the shifter hole if it's a RWD...)

Members dont see this ad

people do some strange things! but hey it works :)

what i use is ... actually i have no idea what its called but its like a giant syringe with a plastic tube on the end, you can buy them at repco for about $15, one of the best tools i own! i hate those damn gear oil bottles with their squeezy pipe things argghghghgh!

I reckon it would have to have something to do with the weight of the oil - whatever they use to 'thicken' it must absolutely reek ..... here is my logic - water doesnt smell but bitumen is farking shocking ..... I know its not a good theory but its no worse than some of teddy's inventions :)

today i did the diff oil in matt's ke70, i used one of those large syringe type devices that alex described above, it worked really well!

when i do it in the ke25, i have a coke bottle top with a piece of fuel hose taped into the neck. i put that in one of the drain holes in the spare wheel well, run the hose into the diff filler hole, and fill the diff oil from the boot :) and i always fill the gearbox thru the shifter hole, dunno why you'd even bother with the filler hole on the side

I know its not a good theory but its no worse than some of teddy's inventions :)

LOLOL !!!

Good call !!

Grim - hehehe great theory!

At tafe the other day, we pulled apart a Ford Laser 4 speed gear box (manual)

- the oil in it stunk like nothing i have smelt before... not to mention the crumbled 4th gear lol

haha welcome to the smell of gear oil, anyone you talk to who works on cars will agree that it's the foulest substance known to man

if you've had a look at my website, you'll notice i used to have long hair, and you'll notice i'm now bald and shiny like a bowling ball :)

i can distinctly remember being under my mate's ke70, when we did the auto to manual conversion, hair dripping with a few hundred mL of gearbox oil, thinking "f@$k, this really has to go"