Setting Up The Diff In Hal

demuire

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter: No, I sold yours on to Jamie (although I think it might still be at Robs). Yours wasn't the diff I was after, it was the less common D series diff (6.62") and not the T series that I was after (6.7")

I've put oil in the diff, wanted to bleed the brakes but one of the silly bleed valves has decided to get very stuck and very round, GRRR...

The 14" wheels do fit, *just*, woo hoo... Have trial fitted the swaybar and re-bent the brake lines to better clear the bump stops, and started to drop the old gearbox...

Anyways, off to Redwarf Motorsports HQ (as Mel calls it) to see if The Man can remove this bleed valve...

... and yet again, Rob proves to be The Man...

Brakes now bled, they appear to stick a bit but I'm assuming this is just the wear-in period (since the calipers haven't been used for so long). I briefly checked the bores before I put them together (didn't fully rebuild them, just took apart and reassembled), they looked ok.

Gearbox is unbolted, just need to unbolt the crossmember and it'll fall out. Ready for AE86 gearbox to go in.

Swaybar half installed, just need to mark and drill holes in chassis rail, and tighten bolts... Should I put a crush tube in? Might do that at a later date...

Edited by demuire

Well it's a question of Do you feel lucky?

Theres a good chance the jap box is in better condition. Then again 3rd gear could be chillin at the bottom with the drainplug.

Like I said the synchros were tired, but there were no whines and it never popped out of gear.

Have put Jap gearbox in car. Shift feels okay (though very sloppy), reverse a bit hard to engage. All going well, until cordless drill ran out of battery... again. must-get-power-drill...

Left to do:

- Finish drilling holes in transmission tunnel for bolts.

- Drill holes in cover plate for bolts

- Buy M6 nutserts, don't have enough.

- Fill gearbox with oil

- Bolt in shifter

- Finish installing swaybar

- Pick up tailshaft, bolt in.

- Double check everything

- HAVE FUN ;)

Everything is in. Well, was in, it's now partially apart again. Drivers side caliper is fouling on the disc, hope I haven't warped the disc, it was pretty darn hot...

Diff whines. A LOT. Going to run it in for a few days, then drop the oil and fill it up, and then jack it up and fill it up more...

Gearbox is very nice (or at least, feels nice, I can't hear it over the whine of the diff at all). It does, however, get VERY warm... is this common? I never noticed the heat from the Celica T50, but with the AE86 T50 I can feel it radiating through the transmission tunnel...

Today going to see what I can do about this fouling caliper...

Oh, note to self (and others): If you have a very tight LSD, avoid drive thru's, and turning sharply where the ground is made of cement (like petrol stations). Draws a lot of attention. Also beware of roundabouts, car likes to go straight. Apart from that, KICKASS. Ultra predictable, no more loss of power, just squats and takes off...

Oh, another note: Not all T-series diffs have the same pinion flange. I found out the hard way. Makes life interesting...

Edited by demuire

Have discovered the problem with my brakes... I've got about an 0.5 - 1mm bearing end float, probably from too much gasket goo...

Car is going up on stands again maybe tonight, or tomorrow, and everything is going to be redone.

Diff is really annoying. I am so over it. Am going to start looking for another one tomorrow, open or LSD, depending on what I can find and what I can afford...