Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brake Pad Diy

Featured Replies

Hey guys,

 

I'm not gonna fark around with the car anymore and basically just trying to get it on the road working and running... so time has come to put some new brake pads in....

 

This is what I have been told to do:

1, take wheels off

2, take calipers off

3, Suspend calipers so they don't hang from brake lines

4, unclip clips and remove brake pad

5, use a clamp to put piston in

6, put new pads in

7, redo clips, bolt calipers back on and put wheel on...

 

The end.... or is it? Anything I missed ?

 

If anyone knows how to do it... please tell me.. or even give me a hand pretty please.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Sweet thanks Nick! :) I'll talk to the misses and ask her for some money lol.... I'm not trusted with the finacies in my house hold... if i were maxi would be awesome and I'll be living in a cardboard box!

 

Nick, when are you free... I have Fri night/Sat/Sun .... all other days are workies :)

  • Author

Great, I'll check out some shops and see what I can find...

Though I'm just gonna get cheapies I think... pretty tight with money now..

 

Teddy... please no photos of me :) lol

thats what i do. and a bit of bar to wedge between the seat and the pedal when you have to go around and tighten up the bleeder again

  • Author

backyard bush mechanics .... I don't know :)

Don't forget to bleed your brakes afterwards or your brakes won't work at all...

 

I'm not overly familiar with the terminology but i was under the impression you only had to do that if the piston didnt remain seated/captive? (ie: normal operating conditions) i havent done this before on my car but ive watched a mate do it to his panel van, gemi & rodeo and in all 3 cases once the pads had been removed the piston did start to move but very slowly in which time he put a clamp on etc etc...he's never once bled his brakes and they work fine on all 3 cars. Is this just a holden thing or totally the wrong thing to do?

There's never any harm in bleeding your brakes more often than "required", you just go through more brake fluid. But as a general rule, no air in system means no need to bleed. And usually changing pads doesn't get air in the system.

Really??? When i did the pads on my car without bleeding them the fronts didnt do shit. It was like a foot handbrake so maybe I'm doing it wrong??/

  • Author

hey guys,

 

I'm not to sure with the bleeding or what not... though a friend told me to put clamps on the pistons aswell.... I'll take a bottle of brake fluid I have.. as I don't' own an clamps lol :)

 

Nick, I haven't had a chance yet to buy any pads, I was hoping to buy them on Saturday... I basically have approx 100 bucks total to spend for front and rear pads... so nothing fancy for me :)

 

My plan was to get down to repco on Saturday and buy what ever I can (I'll tell em its for a starlet hehehe so I don't get charged the 300% mark up import rule) and come around more 10:30ish.. ..but tell me your plans for the day cause I don't wanna put you out :)

 

Teddy, If your still coming along with your camera we could do a Brake Change tech for the website, with pics and step by step guide?? what do you think :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.