Ke25 Brake Booster?

I am working on a KE25, we did a ground up rebuild with different motor etc. The last thing I have to sort out is the brakes.

The car now has HiLux 4 spot brakes on the front, and a Celica diff with drums up the back.

This KE25, and a few KE20's we have only came with a single master cylinder with no booster, and cable clutch. I notice the TE27 in Japan had a booster and twin master cylinder and hydralic clutch. (I would like that setup).

Question 1: Did any KE20/25 in Australia come with a brake booster and dual master? If so I need to buy one and the pedal box, PM me!

Question 2: If we never got the booster option, I have a VF44 remote booster that I will use. But I also will need a bigger 15/16" or 1" master to make the HiLux brakes work. Anyone have ideas about how to hook this up?

Any pictures or info on KE20/25 brakes would be good. Thanks.

Members dont see this ad

G'day Jonny ,

for the clutch i'm using an AE71 clutch master in my KE25 ( installing a 4AGE) and all i did was Drill through the firewall inline with the clutch pedal and shortend the push rod for the master cylinder a little and its in

brakeclutchcyl2ra5.jpg

clutchcylinsidexg5.jpg

and for the brakes i'm planning on using the standar master cylinder and using a remote mount booster and just boosting

the front brakes , much like this

ke2512ut4.jpg

hope that helps you mate , Lindsay

Thanks heaps Lindsay. That photo under the dash is great. I was going to do the clutch like that also. But I am still fishing for info. There is a ridge in the firewall which makes it interesting.

I take it Australia never got a booster on a KE20. All the American ones did, and the Jap TE ones. I wish I could just get a TE pedal box with booster etc and bolt it in. From TE27 pics the booster is mounted hard to the right, and the clutch one is mounted fairly high. ?

The KE20 Master is 11/16". I would like to use that, but considering I have the 4 spot calipers was thinking it was a bit small. I have the same HiLux 4 spots on my KE55, and I use a T18 13/18" MC. And I consider that a bit small, wouold rather have a 15/16" like the HiLux does. Has anyone actualy driven with standard master and big brakes? Too much pedal travel?

Also, looking for experience with boosting only the front. I guess this makes the pedal a bit firmer than boosting everything.

What about the stock 11/16" master (can you get different sizes?) with no booster, but big brakes? Thay may feel ok.

I have a new HiLux 1" master ready if needed, but will have to make a huge adaptor to bolt it on.

Sorry, I know everything about KE30's. Never thought I had to work on a KE25 till now.

JC807: Can you please tell me what size master you got, if you know. And what brakes you have? I am guessing you boosted only the front?

I'm not after a super stiff pedal. I'm after a normal pedal, like what you would have on a facotry 80's car. Maybe a tad firmer.

I can imagine if you have stock front brakes, but big master, you will have a very stiff pedal. But big brakes and stock master = too soft a pedal and too much travel?

ive been looking into using either an early galant, or a datsun sunny booster for my KE25. stud patterns and pushrods don't worry me, they can be changed..

beauty of these boosters is for the pissant booster pajero masters bolt stright up, and the sunny's booster bolts onto later datto/nissan masters so I'm told.

Edited by MRMOPARMAN

i think its 7/8". i'm using ke55 discs and calipers. the rear is all ke55 too. i'm using a trailer brake master for my clutch master at the minute but the pedal is very stiff because the bore is too big. I may change to a pajero one as it will still fit behind my inlet manifold. I have a plate welded into the firewall to support it.

Edited by JC807

those jappa te27's brake master is in a different spot than ke2#. (closer to the strut tower). if you look at your firewall on the engine bay side there's a little dimple towards the outside of the car next to the ke2 brake master.. te27's have the brake master come out here to a 4bolt booster like a ke30 and has more room for a clutch master cylinder next to it. they also have a totally different pedal box where the clutch pedal pivot is above the pedal box. if you're upgrading brakes then theres little to gain from a booster unless your a pussy and like a soft pedal haha. if your brakes are better than factory then theres less need to brake as hard to stop so theres less need for a booster. (The it would be nice to replicate a te27) if your new upgraded calipers are quite larger in size and you find you're running out of clutch pedal travel then do a brake master upgrade.. a factory setup often has the same size master as the caliper piston size... so if the caliper is 15/16 then see if you can run a 15/16 brake master. good luck adapting it to the vertical mount bolt pattern doh.

i had to remove the factory NZ ke25 SR twin brake master so it cleared the 4age intake manifold.. replaced it with a single type which got it on the road. also bent up a bit of panel steel to sit behind the clutch master to sit nicely..

SR63.jpg

Edited by AE25

if you're upgrading brakes then theres little to gain from a booster unless your a pussy and like a soft pedal haha. if your brakes are better than factory then theres less need to brake as hard to stop so theres less need for a booster.

that would be good but over here the enginners and R.T.A require that you replicate the brake system of the car that the donor engine came out of , unfortunatly anything that came out with a 4AGE came out with boosted brakes ( i think )

Edited by LINDSAY

• 2 weeks later...
that would be good but over here the enginners and R.T.A require that you replicate the brake system of the car that the donor engine came out of , unfortunatly anything that came out with a 4AGE came out with boosted brakes ( i think )

Anything this side of 74 likely has a booster, and some older too :)

I'm yet to work out what to do about all this, i need a 15/16" or 1" as well, would prefer that it was boosted on the firewall, but might not be enough room.. Sadly it seems there is no "easy" solution. Modded pedal box or vh40/44 are the two options really..