Ae112r Electrical Problem

Terminal

I've got an AE112R Sportivo Turbo, and while driving it likes to turn itself off. showed this to mechanic and NRMA dude, neither of which have any idea yet. it's still at the mech, but if i could get an easy fast solution it means i can get it back on the road.

Basically after about 5 - 10 minutes of driving the car cuts out, as if i turned it off. if i turn the key to off, then back on again it will crank over. It doesn't get affected by the way i drive, either grandma like or takumi drift style.

Anywho, i'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem before. I'm thinking either faulty ignition barrel or distributor/ignition coil. let me know your thoughts guys.

Leshy

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leshy,

Id be taking your Ae112R into the nearest Toyota dealership, as this sounds like a problem that may be more suited to a specialized mechanical workshop, apposed to the local BP bloke or anyone from the RACQ. It sounds like someones going to have some electrical fun :hmm:

just my opinion :)

Ted

I think you're right. I've taken it to the dealer i purchased it from as it's still under used car warranty. they'll be taking it to toyota for diagnostics check, but i figured if anyone has had the problem before i could save everyone some time and money.

Well the funny thing is, i bought the car from a Honda dealership as a used car. With it i got a 3 year used car warranty. I took the car back to them for this, then they took it to Toyota to diagnose the problem. Honda then replaced the part Toyota told them was broken. Since this didn't fix it, Honda have now given the car back to Toyota to solve the problem. Such a pain in the arse just for a warranty claim.

The plot thickens. It turns out Toyota have referred this case to their Head Office for study. No one can diagnose the problem and the best idea they have is a faulty computer. It then turns out a new computer for the AE112R is $15,000. I'm not joking, this is what they said to me. I though they may have meant $1500, because $15,000 is almost how much the car is worth. I'm glad it's under warranty because there's no way I'd be replacing that computer with the stock ECU.

let them fully diagnose the problem first before you throw $1500+ on an aftermarket computer. . big difference between them thinking it was a faulty distributor to a $15k computer (i can't really believe it would cost that much, my mate works at BMW and the stock bimmer computers are nowhere near that price)