The Detailing Thread

Raven

Since I drive a banged up daily, about the only time its gets washed is when it rains. I have washed it once in the last year, and that was at a DIY car wash and I used the built in polish. I was worried that washing all the dirt and crap off it would make it fall apart as I thought that the dirt was holding the car together. I was wrong

Members dont see this ad

I detailed for ages... still do on the cars I buy to recondition. I swear by Autoglym... pick it up from panelbeater supply shops (as opposed to any of the chain stores) and you will save big $$$... Its also an australian owned company... I've used all of the top-end $70-for-a-litre 3M type stuff and autoglym is just as good and costs 1/5th the price.

In my experience kitten no.2 is good for removing imperfections but leaves a lot to be desired in the shine department. Works well with a good quality wet-look synthetic wax over the top, but thats a lot of work. Don't waste your cash.

If your paint is in good condition and well maintained, meguiars gold glass works well and smells nice :D

Also, and you may laugh, but good ol' Nu-finish works a treat on good to average paint. Cheap too.

Proper polishing cloths and buffing towels are cash well spent too.

My 2c...

If your paint is in good condition and well maintained, meguiars gold glass works well and smells nice :D

Also, and you may laugh, but good ol' Nu-finish works a treat on good to average paint. Cheap too.

Proper polishing cloths and buffing towels are cash well spent too.

My 2c...

Have to agree with 7shades,

Nu-finish is a good cheap one for getting out scratches and on old faded paint

Anything meguiars is top quality, a little $$ though..

Also if ya can get your hands on a propper buff for an hour or so, will transform a faded paint job, my mates a panel beater and the buffs they have made a big difference...

Edited by goldke70

I swear by Meguiars Final Inspection after a good polish of the paint work.

I use Nu-finish to polish the cars here too. Great stuff.

And the microfibre polishing cloths and hand applicator pads are money well spent.

Edited by Raven

what i do sometimes is get a garden weed sprayer, one of those pump up ones, fill it with degreaser, costs about 10 bucks all up if you get degreaser from super crap and pump from the warehouse, and i go over the engine bay and engine, under the car, all in the steering and suspension, and sponge it off with sopy water and a light rinse, go over everything with a couple of cans of wd40.

I also like to use tyre shine on the bumpers of my ke70 and the rear louver, makes them nice and black, but still satin not all wet and shiny.

I use mother alloy polish on my gear box and wheels and sometimes the chrome trim, will use on my chrome bumpers when i put them on in the next week. Sometimes i take my wheelnuts off and clean them with degreaser and polish them on the buff (other side of my grindstrone)

get a wet vacuum cleaner and go over the seats and carpets of the car, door trims too if you have cloth, they work a treat.

I found two cans of that chicks deodorant impulse what ever it is and i spray that in my car most days so it smells chicky fresh, and chicks always comment on it when they get in the car :P

i use that black scuffs boot polish on the ke70's bumpers and rear vision mirrors, its the liquid stuff in the bottle with the sponge on top, comes up sweet after a wash. i was also told by my carby mechanic that after degreasing the motor to spray innox on the carbies to keep them looking new. it works all right.

I use mequiars back2black on raw external plastics, door seals and window channels, good stuff. Don't bother with armour all and all the other cheap stuff... its mostly water. Get thee to the supply shops and pick up stuff like "lazarus" its a bit more expensive but a million times better. If you have any internal or external plastic that has started going grey, (ie: silvia indicator stalks) lazarus will fix it. Makes Ke70 bumpers look like new too.