3t Into A Ta22 Celica? Anyone?

Isaac_TA22

forged pistons are not neccesary unless its turbo. Boring it out is old school, and stupid. Besides the difference in capacity would not even get close to two liters. You really need to do some research, especially towards your compression ratio, because neither 2t or 3t pistons would be suitable.

actualy i have done my resurch, the only reson i havnt done it all yet is because I'm still looking around, plus boaring out may be old school, but a ta22 isnt exactly new. the only reson I'm not going turbo is because if the p plate restrictions, i want an engine which still resembles a naturaly aspirated 2tg. last of all the only reson I'm going forged pistons is because there not too bad in price and i want to do it right the first time, if i want to turbo it i don't want to have to replace too much

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or you can put 3t internals into a 2t block, need to flip some bearings and have grooves cut into the block to fit the crank. styler has the full details afaik, he posted them somewhere before

Does depend on which model 2t cause the later model had a wider "skirt". Or so i've been told.

last of all the only reson I'm going forged pistons is because there not too bad in price and i want to do it right the first time, if i want to turbo it i don't want to have to replace too much
Once again compression ratio. The pistons are exactly what you will changing if you go to turbo from na, 10.5:1 is not all that turbo freindly.

plus boaring out may be old school, but a ta22 isnt exactly new.

What i meant was people have got wiser, and for a street motor no longer go straight to the last oversize, because they now realize that the motor may require more than one rebuild in its life. :wink:

.....boaring....

i wasnt aware wild pigs were verbs :wink:

seriously dude i would advise against spending money on a t series engine cos they are crap (the sohc are anyway) id recomend getting onto the classic celica thread on toymods or have a look a few peoples members ride threads, cos the 2t and 3t really arent that fantastic and at this age they come standard with alot of carbon in the head and blowby. look for a 2tg although these are getting harder to find and you don't need engineering because they were a factory option (gt/gtv)

and nissan man is right sure you can bore the mofo out to nearly 2L but without sleaves things get risky same goes for forgies don't really need em unless you are ramming a mcf@$k load of boost into it(or you can get em hell cheap)

(the sohc are anyway)

2t and 3tc are "ohv" not sohc

you can get the the t series engines to put out 600bhp. Just ask some one in the US.

if you want to go all out on over sized stuff, you can get it out to 2.4 - 2.6.

the problems is most of the parts only come from the US.

saying all that, get a newer engine. even a 4age will go in easy.

2t and 3tc are "ohv" not sohc

you can get the the t series engines to put out 600bhp. Just ask some one in the US.

yeah id prefer the 4age, but id need an engeneering cert for that, and cause of the new p plate restrictions, i wouldnt legaly be aloud to drive it, hopefully i can get an exeption but it would probably be during work hours

yeah id prefer the 4age, but id need an engeneering cert for that, and cause of the new p plate restrictions, i wouldnt legaly be aloud to drive it, hopefully i can get an exeption but it would probably be during work hours

okay, ive owned a ta22 with a 2t...i then put in a 3t.

While very simple (not a engine conversion, more an engine swap) i wouldnt bother as the difference was un-noticeable.

I do like the idea of a 2tg/3t hybrid though. With big cams/almost 2L capacity/big carbs/high compression/headwork 100rwkw can be achieved.

While this would not be cheap, it keeps the old schoolness of the car and would have more torque than a 4age.

Also, double check with local authorities the legalities of putting a 2tg or 3tg into your ta22. When i looked into this, i was told by the RTA that it would need to be engineered as, although it was a factory option, it was not an option in Australia...something to keep in mind.

okay, ive owned a ta22 with a 2t...i then put in a 3t.

While very simple (not a engine conversion, more an engine swap) i wouldnt bother as the difference was un-noticeable.

I do like the idea of a 2tg/3t hybrid though. With big cams/almost 2L capacity/big carbs/high compression/headwork 100rwkw can be achieved.

While this would not be cheap, it keeps the old schoolness of the car and would have more torque than a 4age.

Also, double check with local authorities the legalities of putting a 2tg or 3tg into your ta22. When i looked into this, i was told by the RTA that it would need to be engineered as, although it was a factory option, it was not an option in Australia...something to keep in mind.

yeah the thaught crossed my mind, but if a cop pulls me up and decides to look over the car, at least the engine block will be a 2t, i suppose it depends how smart a cop i get, if i can get an exeption then ill probably not even botehr with the older options and go with some sort of injected turbo 4 cylender

yeah the thaught crossed my mind, but if a cop pulls me up and decides to look over the car, at least the engine block will be a 2t, i suppose it depends how smart a cop i get, if i can get an exeption then ill probably not even botehr with the older options and go with some sort of injected turbo 4 cylender

what sort of budget do you have.

Also, keep in mind that its not just cops you should be mindful of, but also insurance companies.

what sort of budget do you have.

Also, keep in mind that its not just cops you should be mindful of, but also insurance companies.

yeah thats true, i don't realy know whart I'm going to spend on it, the cheapest most effectave way id say! i know what ever i do wont end up being cheap anyway but yeah ill just see how it goes, gonna do all the work my self anyway cause I'm fairly experianced in the whole engine conversoion thing so i know they usualy go over budget.

True as. But you'll still have to grind the 3t block to fit the 4y crank.

Find someone to custom build four conrods.

Have someone who's willing to bore into the water jackets so that four sleeves can be fitted.

And then see if the same someone who did the rods can build four custom slugs to fit the custom cylinders.

Yeah using the 4age would a better way to go, but it does all come down to the budget and what your after (period look, factory look or.....)

Something else that could be an option is to keep the 2t block, sling in the 3t crank, bore the block for o/s pistons, do a little head work, different cam profile, better exhaust, better intake.

Yeah using the 4age would a better way to go, but it does all come down to the budget and what your after (period look, factory look or.....)

Something else that could be an option is to keep the 2t block, sling in the 3t crank, bore the block for o/s pistons, do a little head work, different cam profile, better exhaust, better intake.

yeah thats probably the way to go i recon, but I'm probably going to end up wanting more, plus id like injection but i know the injection manifolds for the 2tg is crap and the only way to get the same power as webbers is with quad throttle bodys, but thats going a little overboard!

it all depends on if i can get an exeption to the p plate rules i suppose

yeah thats probably the way to go i recon, but I'm probably going to end up wanting more, plus id like injection but i know the injection manifolds for the 2tg is crap and the only way to get the same power as webbers is with quad throttle bodys, but thats going a little overboard!

it all depends on if i can get an exeption to the p plate rules i suppose

I reckon you uprade you braking and suspension first, and then diff. That way once you save up some cash and get off p-plate restrictions you will have a car that can take some serious power and remain safe.

I reckon you uprade you braking and suspension first, and then diff. That way once you save up some cash and get off p-plate restrictions you will have a car that can take some serious power and remain safe.

yeah the brakes are good, crona disks and calipers on the front and the back, bolted straight on pretty much, I'm looking at the suspention at the moment, its lowered and bump steers heaps, still it handles like it on rails