Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Digi Cams

Featured Replies

A80 only takes AAs... We use Energiser NiMH. They last a good amount if time with lots of LCD usage. We went through about 2-3 sets in NZ (10 days over 1000 photos).

 

Some examples:

http://www.improperorder.com/gallery/bens%...os/IMG_0525.JPG

http://www.improperorder.com/gallery/bens%...arch-2004/3.jpg (not fullsize)

http://www.improperorder.com/gallery/bens%...cs/IMG_0408.JPG

http://www.improperorder.com/gallery/bens%...cs/IMG_3617.JPG

http://www.improperorder.com/gallery/bens%...cs/IMG_0198.JPG (Full zoom at about 100m no tripod)

 

Cost is around $600

  • Replies 43
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Wow Tom, not asking for much are you???

 

Nah not really :dance:

 

Okay, first things first - it looks like you want a camera that does EVERYTHING, and for not so much money. Unfortunately, such a camera does not exist.

 

I suppose but what I ask is just basic manual stuff, which should make a camera cheaper rather then have wizzbang stuff which is all auto.

 

I have narrowed down my list to:

Fuji Finepix S5000Z

$525.00 Inc

 

Panasonic DMC-FZ10-K (Black)

$860.00 Inc. GST

 

Canon Powershot G5

$879.00 Inc. GST

 

Canon Powershot S1 IS

$829.00 Inc. GST

 

Fuji Finepix S7000Z

$880.00 Inc. GST

All those cameras are very similar, the S5000 is a whole class below the rest. The FZ10 and the S1 have image stabilization which can help a fair bit with the big zoom and in low(er) light. The FZ10 and the S7000 also have the focus ring on the lens barrel, however I think in both cases it's fly-by-wire. Like I said before, I used the S7000, I really wasn't impressed. That said, have not used any of the rest.

 

The S1 has gotten a lot of very good reviews. Based on reviews alone I'd be inclined to either get the S1 or the FZ10 (those 2 were on my shortlist before I got my A1)

 

So, I think now your next move should be to read a few reviews, dpreview.com, steves digicams, imaging resource, those are just a few more reputable sites with reviews to digital cameras. All of those cameras, while very similar, have different strenghts and weaknesses. Work out what your priorities then are, scrap the cameras with weaknesses where your priorities sit.

 

Once you have narrowed your list down to say 2 or 3 cameras, go to the shop and have a play. That way you can work out what works for you, and what doesn't.

  • Author

Hey guys n girls

 

I have short listed the following:

 

Canon PowerShot S1 IS

 

Panasonic DMC=FZ10

 

Fuji FinePixs7000

 

Check out the specs, which one would be better suited to SLR like photos? which is the better camera, what about quaility wise? what about brand and reliablity?

What is your person view on the 3?

 

Thanks heaps

Tom.

 

P.S: Notice the Memory type is different on all 3.

  • Author

From the above list, so far I'm liking the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 the most, basically for the huge zoom lens, imagie stablity, unlimited movie mode, and basically for full manual functions.

 

Now, have to save up,.... everyone its my birthday soon.. give me 50 bucks each :dance:

As you probably already know (from my above posts) my pick would be between the FZ10 and the S1. The S1 seems to have gotten overall better reviews (though they've both gotten very good reviews), but the FZ10 just has such uber cool features (I really like the focus ring and the HUGE lens) and looks really cool too...

  • Author

Hey fook,

 

Thouht I'll show you some happy snaps I did lately:

dragonflower.JPG

A little flower I planted in my garden

 

36xZoom.JPG

36x Zoom

 

hotchilli.JPG

My little Chilli I'm aging outside :D

That's pretty good, looks like it's got a decent macro on it. Nice colors too. Personally I wouldn't bother using the digital zoom, as cropping in photoshop is just as good and it gives you the option of composing your photo a bit better.

 

Keep it up!

  • Author

A couple of early pet hates already, no bulb mode and the longest shutter speed is only 8sec's. I suppose that leaves something for my MZ50 to do. Also another thing, at night the view finder and lcd struggle.

 

I love the zoom even the digi zoom is cool and very clear, that shot above is street about 1 or 2km away. (I'm not bull shitting)

 

I have to take it for an expedition somewhere and test it right out.

probably not what you are after but i have been using the canon ixus point and shoot jobs for a while now and i swear by them

 

have had some brilliant photos from it, it just took a while to work out all the settings etc...

Tom: Many non-pro digital cameras really struggle in low light, and my old camera that had bulb mode was no different (Casio QV2800). Anything longer than say 8-10 seconds and the noise would become trully unbearable. And yes, had heard about the FZ10 not really performing well in low light, which was the main reason I bought the A1 instead.

 

But yes, 12x image stabilised lens... *FUN*

Tom, feed those digital zoomed files thru neatimage (neatimage.com). That'll help with the noise, but you'll still be lacking in detail. But, like Fook said, you're probably going to get better results just cropping and using the unsharp mask in PS.

 

I've got a 2x ND Filter and a remote release on order... should be able to get some really long exposures with those.

  • Author

Sweet, thank you for suggesting the neatimage program, I have d/led it and I'm working it now...

 

I don't know about the cropping... do u mean don't use the digi zoom at all... and then crop out the bits I don't want and magnify the subject in PS?

 

Whats a 2x ND Filter? where abouts do u get ur goodies from?

 

I have to find a place that would process an odd 40 rolls of 24 & 36 rolls of 35mm film for cheap too.. any ideas?

Also my pentax inbult flash is playing up, when I push the button for the flash to pop up... it doesn't pop up and I have to pull it up into position.

ALSO.... do u know a good place to get lens cheap?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.