Ke30 2door Sedan Latest Pics - Interior Work

brodie

Members dont see this ad

Thanks, yeah didn't want to go anything "in your face" for the interior, i really like anything that looks like it could pass for an oem item. Getting rid of the winder cranks in favour of pwr windows certainly helps tidy up the trims too.

Brodie.

The dash... ok well its like this... the speedo - VDO 76mm (i think) gauges sit neatly in the speedo hole after removing the original speedo and perspex dome from the cluster. Of course they are a little too deep so you have to cut the pcb of the original cluster out where it pokes thru, and use wire jumpers where necessary (my cluster still plugs in on the original plugs for easy removal).

Being an electronic speedo you will need a gearbox sender, there is a generic sensor that screws in place of your cable on the gearbox. The gauge is electronically calibratable so you go for a drive with a gps and set it up with the correct ppm (pulses per mile) figure. The sender also runs the cruise control (another story).

This was all cool for a while but i wanted a matching tacho. so I removed the fuel and temp gauges and lights and did the same deal to fit a vdo 76mm tacho - again it just screwed in with its retaining collar - exactly the right size. This being done i needed fuel and temp gauges. SO a vdo 50mm temp gauge (with matching sender on the engine) sits where the clock would be (mine was a pov pack so this was a blanking plate anyhow) and for a fuel level i built a jaycar digital level display kit, modified it to dim with the parkers, calibrated to display litres of fuel in the tank, and mounted the readout in the useless shallow pocket thingy on the rhs lower dash near the rhs of the key barrel.

In the centre are vdo 50mm oil pressure and voltage gauges, along with leds for alt, oil press, low fuel level, alarm and electric fan.

I also took the opportunity to fit a shift light to the empty lamp space below the park brake light so it looks factory.

Will see if i can find some better pics for you guys.

This car also has all sorts of other sh!t on it, cruise, tv, dvd, electric windows with remote rollup, remote boot release and keyless, talking alarm with proximity sensor, and the list is ongoing.

Happy to help with any more questions guys

Cheers

PS here's the best quality gauge photo I could find....

post-1803-1176097696_thumb.jpg

Thats awesome... Nice and clean and not a hint of rice. I like it a lot. I'm interested in your cruise control... Do you have microswitches behind the horn bezel? If so, how have you run the wiring? Or did you make some extra contact rings on the boss?

Cheers

J

7shades - i have used a cruise control made by an australian company called Autron electronics. (model ac3400 if anyone cares) This comes with a controller designed to screw on to the side of current model-type oem airbag wheels, and it parallels up with the horn button and multiplexes down the horn wire. Then you cut the horn wire on the chassis side of the clock-spring and run it thru the unit (note you MUST have a horn relay).

For my application i was given a generic horn button from some sort of jap-import many years ago, and as you can see it has 3 buttons with microswitches behind on a tiny pcb. Originally these were connected thru resistors on the pcb but i removed these, and connected some really fine wires from it to the pcb that i removed from the autron wheel switch. then i wrapped the autron cruise board in as much tape as i could fit and jammed it into the centre of the boss behind the button. it all *just* fits

Mounted the LED on the dash as you could see, and programmed the unit for a few extras like speed alert, and clutch coast-resume so you change gears on cruise and it automatically drops the throttle as you press the clutch and repulls on it as you let it out for a one-foot gear change, works brilliantly.

Another thing that might be of interest to some of you is i have built a quick-shift kit using parts from jaycar kits. This (selectably) cuts spark when the clutch is in and revs are above 3000rpm, so you can keep your right foot to the floor and shift and it cuts revs for you. And of course it gets lots of attention if you stand on the throttle with the clutch in at lights, it (noisily) hovers at 3000rpm, sounds a bit like a bridgeport rotor.. hehe

post-1803-1176102836.jpg

Edited by brodie

wicked ;)

As for the clutch-coast resume, is that a factory programming option with the Autron units or is that something you did yourself... I haven't seen that feature before even on top-end cars with factory cruise... (mind you most have been automatic) Call me lazy but it bothers me having to press resume every time I downchange to go through a roundabout on the highway... :)

My second question (and thanks for taking the time to respond by the way)

How does the cruise unit integrate with the ignition to cut spark... are you running factory ignition or electronic? Is it a nice soft progressive cutout? Or does it completely snuff the engine like Holden's rather rudimentary traction control...

Cheers mate

Yes, Clutch coast-resume is a programmable feature of these cruise controls, it can be enabled using a handheld programmer which all authorised retailers of the product have. The programmer can be used to change just about every operating parameter of the product, its fantastic. I have not seen CCR on another product OR as an oem item anywhere, ever.

Sorry if i confused but the cruise control does not perform the spark cut, i have used both jaycar rev-limiter and shift light kits which perform a soft cut at redline and a hard cut with the clutch in at 3000rpm when engaged, and also run the dash-mounted shift light. Its a really evil sort of cut at 3000, kinda equivalent to a "key-banger" but it hasn't caused me a problem so far and the induction noise when its operating is awesome!