Cams And Power Figures

I am about to convert my 5K back to solid lifters and am trying to make a decision on a practical cam. I have had huge spec cams in my K motors before and although they sound great, the figures tend to say that a smaller cam would be more beneficial in regards to max torque and hp. Am thinking a 25/65 regrind with 0.423" lift or maybe even 30/70 with 0.423" lift.

The FAQ tends to back me up on this, however i am looking for some actual hard evidence.

So this is a callout to "K" engine owners who have both their cam specs and dyno figures to post them here so i can see accurate power figures. (i'm not interested in your best guess or your word saying that your car flies). Preferably 5K owners, but for the sake of the thread it wont hurt for 3K and 4K owners to post up their evidence. A brief description of your engine mods would help too. My engine can be seen in my Signature.

Members dont see this ad

Can't say that I have ever had my engine dynoed. All my tuning has been done with a box of jets, AFR meter, timing light, stopwatch and buttometer, so I won't comment on how it goes. :kiwi:

What I will say is that it is useless comparing cam profiles in different capacity engines. A 25/65 cam will perform like a bigger cam in a smaller capacity engine. ie. when I had my 25/65 cam in my old 4k it would pull best between 3500-7500+. The same cam in a near identically prepared 5k shifted the power down around 1000 rpm in the rev range, to 2500-7000 rpm.

Personally I think you would be best off with the 30/70 out of the two profiles you mentioned, especially with the twin sidedrafts and oversized valves. You would give away a little torque, but would make better use of the airflow of the enlarged valves and sidies in the topend.

Can't say that I have ever had my engine dynoed. All my tuning has been done with a box of jets, AFR meter, timing light, stopwatch and buttometer, so I won't comment on how it goes. :)

Your technical insight is always welcome.

The stipulation in the first post was more to warn off people clogging up the thread with useless guesses etc.

Do you think there is any benefit in going for a longer duration cam. Maybe a 40/70 0.474"lift. Tighe cams recommends 40/70 for twin carbs/fast road.

I'm just going by the info in the FAQ, and trying a few figures in DYNO2000. I know the software is not exactly accurate, but it tends to agree with the cam grinders figures for the rev range.

Initially i was going to go for 43/72 83/31 0.442" purely for the sweet sounds it would make. :kiwi:

Youve heard and seen mine run Kanga. You need a bigger cam than mine, Wade 169.

Wade finally emailed me back today after i emailed them 1 week ago. Even then they asked me to be more specific on what grind i wanted. Unfortunately they don't list their grinds on their website and they have 'too many' grinds to list them all. So i have requested that they fax me the complete list.

Guess i will get a fax in a week or two if i am lucky. :kiwi:

Wade finally emailed me back today after i emailed them 1 week ago. Even then they asked me to be more specific on what grind i wanted. Unfortunately they don't list their grinds on their website and they have 'too many' grinds to list them all. So i have requested that they fax me the complete list.

Guess i will get a fax in a week or two if i am lucky. :kiwi:

over many years I used a variety of different cams.......mostly sourced in australia

doing this in the belief we aussies ARE a capable lot. well in the main we are BUT!!!

the cams which performed with the best driveabilty were all made and ground overseas

the trd were good but not great as they tended to be top end and when cam timing was advanced to bring them down out of the cloud revs wise. other problems occured

the best and last k series cam I ever bought was a 1yy grind from toyota sport great britain......now gone bust.....but the cam was made by PIPER from thier magnum range and was a 40/76. just a great all rounder strong mid range and big nuts at the top.

you don't know me and ive since sold the cam so you can't compare however I assure you you would not be disappointed

old corolla bloke

over many years I used a variety of different cams.......mostly sourced in australia

doing this in the belief we aussies ARE a capable lot. well in the main we are BUT!!!

the cams which performed with the best driveabilty were all made and ground overseas

the trd were good but not great as they tended to be top end and when cam timing was advanced to bring them down out of the cloud revs wise. other problems occured

the best and last k series cam I ever bought was a 1yy grind from toyota sport great britain......now gone bust.....but the cam was made by PIPER from thier magnum range and was a 40/76. just a great all rounder strong mid range and big nuts at the top.

you don't know me and ive since sold the cam so you can't compare however I assure you you would not be disappointed

old corolla bloke

Cheers, thanks mate. Its always great to hear other peoples past experiences about what they found worked and what didnt work. Piper cams doesnt list any K motor cams anymore. I will be getting one reground locally anyway. As long as i can decide on a profile that is.

The consensus so far, is that i should go bigger than i first thought was necessary. Something in the 285-300 duration.

Colin - Wade emailed me back, unfortunately they didnt list the specs for the 169 grind.

Hi Darren,

When mammi`s dynoed my corolla we found a near stock cam in her as it only made strong power to 6000rpm and 47rwkw.

Gerald told me to speak to Clive at clive cams as he would do a full custom grind if i wanted eg. he could mix grinds to get it to work right, he may be worth a call. the phone number is 9758 5977.

good luck with it as I'm still not sure which way i whant to go.

stu.

p.s. got the sticker its on the car thanks

Colin - Wade emailed me back, unfortunately they didnt list the specs for the 169 grind

Mine isnt a Wade cam, its just ground to their specs. I found the 169 specs under Triumph in the Wade cataloge.

The specs are

Lift (at lobe) - 0.269"

Ex opens - 75deg closes 36deg

Inlet opens - 41deg closes 70deg

Edited by coln72

Thanks - So yours is a 41/70 (291 duration). You recommend going bigger than yours. Mines going to sound like a Rotary, the way i'm heading.

I think i'm 99% decided. I will just go with whatever is in that ballpark (but bigger), and roll with it. Still waiting for my Chev lifters to arrive too.

Hey kangaroosa, what are the full specs of your motor? What compression ratio are you running, the valve size, what sort of headwork has been done, what head is it, current cam specs, extractor type (4into1s or 4-2-1s), exhaust size, bore size, carby and venturi size? Also what diff ratio and gearbox, and tyre size are you running? Do you have a close ratio gearset?

A full rundown on specs would help alot towards finding the ideal cam. Also what sort of driving do you do? Do you do weekend motorsport in it? What sort of revrange do you want?

Everything is a compromise. Matching all the components the best you can to suit your intended usage will give the best overall results.

-10.5:1 Compression

-82mm Hypertec Pistons

-36mm Intake Valves - 28mm Exhaust Valves

-3K Bigport Head - With race port job (you can look into the ports and see straight out of the valves)

-Current Cam specs are unknown. I have had so many cam and lifter problems of late, that we went back to a hydraulic setup. The engine builder chose the cam and i never saw any specs. He has also lost track of what cam is in it. My 4K sounded to have a more agressive cam than this 5K. The 4K cam was ordered as a stage 3 grind. Other than that, i would just be guessing. The 5K cam seems very mild though.

-Pacemaker Extractors (4-1) 2" press bent exhaust

-Twin DHLA40s. 32mm Venturies.

-Stock K50 Corolla Gearbox

-4.3:1 BW Diff

-195/50/15 Tyres

The car is strictly a weekend cruiser. Infact it rarely gets driven. So thats why i'm not too concerned if it becomes a pig to drive. My 4K was mistaken for a Rotary numerous times, and i actually prefered driving my 4K rather than the 5K. The revrange is all up in the air. Probably between 3500rpm - 4000rpm and max of 6500-7000rpm.

If i get this engine sorted, i may get involved in some weekend motorsport.

I have filled out numerous forms like these and emailed them to all the cam grinders in Australia, that i know of. Unfortunately, they are in no rush to reply. I guess they don't want my money?

If you look into venturi selection you will see that your carbs are setup for max power at around 6300 with those venturis for your capacity. A set of 36mm venturis would be ideal for max power at just over 7 grand. Ideally if you wanted max power past that point you would be best to go to a set of 45's.

You might possibly have a K (1100cc) bigport head. The 3k and later heads should have 36mm inlet and 29mm exhaust valves.

I'd be looking at a max of around 290 deg duration with 10.5:1 compression.

Edited by Felix