Diff Conversion Ke20

Hi All,

Just about to start measuring up what to fit in my new car as far as a good diff is concerned. My older car runs a TA22 diff with TRD LSD 4.9 ratio but i would like to build the next one with something heavier duty.

What is the current concensus on this?? I know there is the hilux as we have this in the KE15.

I have heard there is a mazda RX7 version with good ratios / LSD is cheap and has good size axles.

Anyone just been through it all and can suggest the better all round solution? I expect to put about 220Hp through it and would like it down in weight compared to a hilux.

Suggestions ??

Thanks

David

Members dont see this ad

Thanks R,

Will look into this option further with a visit to a local mazda wrecker.

Thanks KE25RACER,

Now the T series diff option.... I thought these were hard to get in the LSD and the ratios were not so low? Is there a place where you can source ratios easily?

Please advise if you know. I have the 4.11 celica + 4.9 Trd one now.

It would be good to stay with this as they are quite light.

The cutting down option puts other cost factors in which is what i am trying to avoid.

Thanks for the advise though.

cut down vn-vs commodore borg warner diff?

this mans on the money.

ull have huge range of ratios and a few diff axle sizes also

and brakes are wide open for possiblitys.

spend the money and get the right diff cut down the 1st time and itll be the best money uve ever spent.

cheers scott

the reason i mentioned this option is because i've a friend who had this done with all brand new LSD, discs and rebuilt calipers, cut down to suit ke20 for $2k. It will not be broken, even by his 4AGTE running megaboost.

another mate of mine is considering using the same diff but cut down even shorter to allow mini tubbing on his rotor powered ke20.

Thanks scott for the words of the wise.

You don't really know until you get some of these items layed in front of you anyway.

With a VN-Vs is possible to get a good brake caliper system located inside of a 13" rim?? This would be designed around 15".

The reason is due to class rules you cannot increase rim size (maybe +1") away from standard and it all starts getting tight with space.

Also what would be the going rate for a borg warner LSD anyway??

Thanks

David

There's a monster amount of ratios available for athe Mazda. Up to about 5.3 if memory serves.

I have a T-series with 4.77's on a TRD LSD. The 4.77 are a commercial gear, and wont wear like the TRD variety. They're available through a place in NZ. I can track them down if interested.

i'm in a similar situation to yourself i've been slowly building up a ke25 and the diff is probably the hardest thing to choose for me. From what i've read the options seem to be either cutting down a hilux, vn/vs/r31, F-series or to use something that might just fit with the right offset wheels or flares like the t-series, b1600 and i think theres one hilux diff which is pretty close. I have heard of a couple of ke25/ke20's using an Alfa spyder lsd diff but i've never found any info regarding whether its cut down or not.

My car came with a 120y diff which supposably never snapped with a 3tgte pushing it along so atm i'm tempted to leave that in and see how long it lasts with a 4agte (not long i imagine).

I've spotted your yellow beast near my place in gawler a couple of times, looks overrated

Thanks scott for the words of the wise.

You don't really know until you get some of these items layed in front of you anyway.

With a VN-Vs is possible to get a good brake caliper system located inside of a 13" rim?? This would be designed around 15".

The reason is due to class rules you cannot increase rim size (maybe +1") away from standard and it all starts getting tight with space.

Also what would be the going rate for a borg warner LSD anyway??

Thanks

David

Thanks MLaser,

As always its time to get the tape measure out and go down to hopefully a wrecker with most of these choices availible to look at. I will hopefully have this choice made in the next few weeks.

We had the hilux shortened by Andrew Cavelli at Velo seats as he does do some mechanical work as well. This looks huge under the KE15 and going over some of the big bumps it does bottom out easily. Looks overkill as it would take around 350-400 hp i would suspect with the size axle's it runs.

With so many choices it's probably the best to go with the Mazda (redwarf option) with the ratios availible and the same PCD for rims being similar to toyota in some models.

Will let all know soon.

Thanks

David

The big turn off for me with a hilux is that there's a lot of mass flogging around under there. A real turn off for a forest car, hence the Mazda diffs which are smaller but still very strong.

I also have some 14" mags to suit mazda pattern for sale, too. :)

so with the mazda diff does it still require shortening? also what cars do the mazda e series diff come out of and what sort of hp can they handle?

cheers

The big turn off for me with a hilux is that there's a lot of mass flogging around under there. A real turn off for a forest car, hence the Mazda diffs which are smaller but still very strong.

I also have some 14" mags to suit mazda pattern for sale, too. :)