Valve Tappet Clearence K Motors?

Hi,

After slowly working out how to get my solid lifter to 5K conversion sorted I decided to set my valve tappet clearence to what the K-B motor had which is 0.010mm intake and 0.023mm exhaust.

But tonight I flicked through my 4K manual for a KE70 and it runs 0.020mm intake and 0.030 exhaust clearence.

So what would be the better one to go with? the tighter K-B ones or the larger 4K ones?

Also what is the possible problems I can expect with a gap that is to small or to large?

Cheers

Cameron

Members dont see this ad

To tight, valve will not seat properly (Loss of compression, valve cannot cool down etc.)

To large of a gap, lots of ticking, loss of power due to less lift and damage to the top of the valve stem from the rocker bashing on it.

Id go with the later model setting.

On your figures, it looks like you are getting confused by millimeters and thousands of an inch. :D

Any idea how small 0.020 mm is ? And how large 0.020" is ? Just a tip :

Make sure you are using the right feeler gauge, and if your given measurement is for hot or cold engine.

Edited by tojo2