Ella

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the deal with the coating coming off the spring in the second picture (looking up)? It would seem extremely likely that the springs have been cut at the top end, as this would explain them not being captive, plus it would allow the coating to chip away easier.

I think that black corolla coupe is for sale in today's paper, $2800 or so. Can copy the add if anyone is interested.

I think the springs are ok at the top, dunno why the coating has come off though. They still finish like normal coil springs do, with the slightly flattened bit. If that makes much sense :P

Think I know what you mean in regards to the springs. Don't know why you're having problems if that's the case.

As for the black coupe: custom paintjob, black with red skulls? Sounds a bit tacky. Plus $2,800 for a 1975 Corolla sounds pretty steep. I'd love to get my hands on a coupe, but not at anywhere near that much. Hell, I could buy a Sprinter for $1,500 at the moment.

Yeah, Duy's was sweet, and I hear it's got a new turbo (finally), and is putting out some pretty good power at the wheels as a result.

As for the $1,500 Sprinter, I may actually be able to get it for a few hundred less. I'm considering buying it, and then getting Lenny's Silvertop and Microtech, dropping them in, and getting a Whiteline suspension kit for it too. Then I'd probably try and sell it for about $6,000. The reason it's only $1,500 is that the suspension doesn't have much life left in it, and the fuel tank is pretty filthy or something. If someone would guarantee me that they'd pay enough for it with the conversion, I'd snap it up for certain, but now I'm thinking I'd rather avoid the risk and spend some money on my yellow Corolla.

When I spoke to Duy he said he thought the turbo was a bit too big (and hence laggy). Currently I'm looking at a pair of standard GTR turbos that have come up for sale. One of those would probably do my car quite well, and I know someone interested in purchasing the second one.

Firstly you need to do the ABV mod. This delimits the boost, and considering on an MR2 4A-GZE max boost is made at about 4,500rpm, leaving 2,500rpm of wasted revs, it is a pretty good start. You'd get at least 10psi, probably more. Your supercharger keeps spinning faster as the engine does, but the ABV lets the extra boost off above 8psi.

Most commonly, anyone that sticks with the SC12 seems to go for a bigger crank pulley kit. You can spin the supercharger at up to about 10,500rpm and get up to about 16psi of boost from it. Just remember that the faster you try to spin the supercharger, the greater the power it drains from the engine.

The other option is to spin the engine faster to make the supercharger spin faster. This can be done by using appropriate cams to put the power and torque in the right place (higher in the rev range), and adding more of each at the same time. The SC12 on the AW11 4A-GZE spins at 1.25 times engine speed, so if you made the engine rev to 8,750rpm, you'd have the supercharger spinning at 10,500rpm. To get the engine to keep making power this high up, I'd get some reasonable duration, high lift cams. These would set you back approximately $600-700. You'd be running approximately 16psi of boost, so you should make a fair bit of power.

And of course, with any engine you're modding, a good set of extractors and appropriately sized exhaust is always good. And a good air intake never hurts either.

With my engine, I'm bumping the compression up a little too. The 4A-GZE can reputedly take up to 28psi on standard internals, so I think running it on up to 16psi boost and 9.5:1 compression should be fine. Don't quote me on this, as I haven't tested it yet. It might be an idea to wait and see if I blow my engine up before you test it for yourself. :D