Nt Major Discussion

Ella

180mm Pulley Kit

The whole reason people use the Falcon aircon pulley is because you can put the standard SC12 clutch in it (like here), or maybe use the standard Falcon aircon clutch. Without the clutch, the s/c is being spun constantly, even at idle, and is therefore putting extra load on the engine. People have enough trouble getting 4A-GZE's to idle nicely when modified without having the s/c putting extra load on the engine. Also you'll burn out the s/c quicker simply by having it being run constantly.

The NST pulley kit will give you 13.5psi, which is heaps. If you want a bit more boost, you could switch from the AW11 s/c pulley (125mm diameter) to the AE101 pulley (120mm diameter), giving you about 14psi. It's probably not worth the extra effort though.

Also, I was just reading that Toymods topic on the Falcon pulley mod, and you should take note that the guy is using a 4A-GE crank pulley - that's only 135mm diameter versus 150mm for a 4A-GZE. He says that with that setup the s/c is running at the same rpm as if he was using a 175mm crank pulley, so with your standard 150mm crank pulley, you'll be getting 12,000rpm at the s/c. That's the absolute limit of the s/c. I suppose the advantage is that by using smaller pulleys, there's less weight and less drag on the engine. I think I'll stick to the NST pulley though. Oh yeah, I got outbid in that eBay auction too. It's got five and a half days to go and is sitting at $255. The NST kit is US$289, or roughly AU$380. Add about $50 for postage (it should be WAY less than that) and for $430 you've got 13.5psi.

Even better news: I just discovered that NST make s/c pulleys!!! They do a 102mm s/c pulley that should NOT be used with their crank pulley kit. It does not have a clutch inside it, so I'm assuming it is actually okay to run without the s/c clutch. You will definitely place extra wear on the s/c, but as you say, they're cheap to replace. f@$k it, go with the Falcon pulley. It's smaller and will give you better boost than the NST kit.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops, just read further on the s/c pulley kit: it's recommended that it's not used for daily drivers, so the same will apply to using a Falcon pulley without the clutch. Meh, race use, daily use, what's the diff? :bash:

And it turns out that the NST drift AE86 uses the 180mm crank pulley with the 102mm s/c pulley. That means the s/c is spinning at nearly 13,500rpm!!! Most people generally stick to 11,000rpm! The s/c can't be very efficient at that speed, and I reckon they'd go through s/c's like you wouldn't believe.

A seal kit for the SC12? That might be expensive. I've never seen them advertised anywhere.

Who modified your Falcon pulley for you? I might have to try it out if it's easy enough. If I kill the SC12, I'll just buy an SC14. I want to go for a custom intake setup anyway, so there won't be any issues, and I won't have to dick around with the flange adaptor kits.

hey guys long time no talk, sorry bout my inactivity just been really busy lately. I still have the ae82 just finished completely overhauling my stereo whos got da boom boom? rofl. anyways I'm interested in a cruise or BBQ of some sort.

:P

Good to hear from you. I've seen you driving around twice in the last week or so, but we've always been going in opposite directions.

BTW, are any of you going to the motorkhana on Sunday? I can't make it after all, as we've got an issue with the Starlet and it looks like the car trailer won't be available for me to take the yellow Corolla.

thats good to hear adam **wiplash** lol jks, I don't know if I will go down this weekend as I am a little sick have been for like 1.5weeks and have a few things already planned. So whats everyone doing to their VeHICles??? sorry just watched some movie with a group of hillbillies with nice cars lol