Ke55 Fuel Tank Level Sender

Banjo

Not long fixed my non working fuel & temperature guage. It was that little 10 volt regulator on the back of the console. Now the fuel guage has gone again. Temp still working. The float had a crack in it and sunk ! Replaced that with a spare I had but it only worked for a week. Now it's reading constantly low. I have had it out last week, and time has taken it's toll on the simple slide resistor arrangement.

As I had this problem in a previous KE55 I guess it is quite common at age 25 yrs.

As new sender units are as rare as dinosaurs, and even if you could get one would probably cost a kings ransome, I was wondering if others have had this problem and how they have solved it (don't say a long stick)

Is there any later model Toyota fuel tank sender unit that is commonly available that anyone has adapted to the KE55 tank arrangement ?

Most interested in any comments re above.

Thanks !

Members dont see this ad

VDO make aftermarket fuel senders and guage kits. maybe have a look at one of them. you would have to play around setting up the sender. probably be cheaper than a genuine toyota one if you can still get them.

vdo gauge and sender on ebay here

Edited by Felix

i am currently having kinda the same problem in my Ke55 sedan.

sometimes it will take at least 5 mins for the fuel guage to come up, then it doesnt show the right amount in the tank anyway.

i havent had the time to pull the tank out yet to see if its the sender ( i have a sneaky suspicion it is), so if you find out before me, let me know.....

btw if i use enough fuel this week i may take the tank out this weekend

If your mate had to "bash" the dashboard to make the fuel guage work it is probably not the sender unit that is faulty, which is in the tank. More than likely it is the connections at the back of the console. If your mates temp guage also is playing up, it will be the connections to the little regulator that are intermittent. The 10V regulator supplies power to both the fuel guage & temp guage.

accually come to think of it...my mate had a problem with his poo-colour-KE55. He used to have to bash the dash really hard to get the guage to work.

It is very easy to test the fuel guage circuit. Pull the single/spade terminal lead off the top of tank & ground. If the fuel guage moves up to "full" then the guage is OK, and the fault will be in the sender unit itself. The tank is not very hard to remove. Just make sure it ain't got too much juice left in it.