Locked Diff (welding)

HIGH ROLLER

Members dont see this ad

the way i do it is cut two sqaure 10mm thick bits of steel that fit inside the sider gears on each side and then weld the spiders to the plate so that way it can't fly apart... and its better if you take the center out, i have heard the crown wheel and pinion wheel can stick togeather from massive heat, the other way is to keep rotating it and dapping oil on the gear faces.

and idealy you would arc weld it with low hydrogen sticks (think thats what there called for welding cast) but not needed

driving techniques will change from chassis and personal prefance but i alway try and get more camber, caster and track in the front end so you always have good steering and brakes. and make sure your hand brake works good for those times where you get too much understear, but having enough power will fix this aswell 8|

this all assuming this is a track or paddock car not a road car :lol:

YES i do know welding the diff is illegal.

It is a Hilux open-wheeler, going into a ke20 (4agTe)...

The car will be used as an "every other weekend" cruiser & 1/4 mile car...

So it will be registered and engineered with everything other than the welded diff...

any more info?

YES i do know welding the diff is illegal.

It is a Hilux open-wheeler, going into a ke20 (4agTe)...

The car will be used as an "every other weekend" cruiser & 1/4 mile car...

So it will be registered and engineered with everything other than the welded diff...

any more info?

if your going to have it engineered your better off getting an LSD.......

any none engineered modification (i.e. welded diff) will viod your engineers cert./insurance and leave you open for defects 8|

either keep it completely legal/engineered or don't bother at all

EDIT: now to answer your Q's

Weld 2 plates like mentioned above. Driving style-i find clutch dumps work well :lol:

Just be careful in the wet, especially if your not use to how the car handles with a locker, it can be very dangerous in the wrong hands. But alot of fun IF treated with respect

Edited by 13BT_KE20

Well if it's a hilux diff, IMPO your carzy not to save up for an LSD as they are available.

If it was just a stock ke diff, yeah weld it as there is no LSD you can use, but since you have the option I think you should use it. LSD has all of the good points of a weldy, but none of the bad points!! :lol:

Another thing to bare in my is the stress a weldy put back down the drive train. I f@$ked a couple of GB's in the turbo car, not by the added power, but the fact that the weldy was stressing them.

Another point I may make is the fact that you'll probably get sick of pretty quick. Yeah it's good be able to dump the clutch and know you'll cut twins, but the rest of the time when you wanna just drive the car normally, they're frankly a pain in the arse! And that's the reason only 1 of my 3 cars now has a weldys in them.

[/rant] 8|

the hilux arnt that good aye.... i've got one and i shimmed it up but its still nothing like a aftermarket clutch lsd... you still don't have confidance to know what its gonna do but my car is a daily driver so the lsd is still in there.

apartently its something to do with the ramp angles and you can get new ones made to make it act like a good lsd... theres some guy in NZ that does a exchage and fixes all the problems in them bout NZ$650 if i remember right

Another point I may make is the fact that you'll probably get sick of pretty quick.

very true! they are great fun but when you want to drive normally they get annoying!

its funny when my g/f drives my rolla...pulls up at the lights to turn...has the steering wheel on half-lock..goes to take off and stalls it nearly everytime 8|

also... i agree with Si 100% on..if you have the option to go LSD..do it!!!

Edited by dookie

very true! they are great fun but when you want to drive normally they get annoying!

its funny when my g/f drives my rolla...pulls up at the lights to turn...has the steering wheel on half-lock..goes to take off and stalls it nearly everytime 8|

also... i agree with Si 100% on..if you have the option to go LSD..do it!!!

Just remember one thing: It's NOT A DAILY DRIVER!

As a cheap option it sounds good to weld (if done properly),

Only going to be driving it to the strip, and the occasional highway cruise....

We've always just welded the sun gears to the housing, and sometimes if we felt energetic chucked some random bolts etc in.

I have a diff that was welded by a diff shop, and it is just welded to the housing, and only on one side of the sun gears, and it's well over 5 years old...and has done more burnouts than you can imagine, and it's held up well.

Lockers are awesome as they make the car predictable, a standard corolla diff will do one wheel, then the other and f@$ks you around...weld it up and you know what is going to happen.

Have good front tyres and you shouldn't have too many understeer issues - Except in the wet.

I've driven locked diff corollas on the road for years and the only problem I have had is wearing out tyres hehe.