Ke25 Brake Upgrade..

Jarsky

Hey Guys,

After stuffin around with the front discs & refreshing the brakes myself at home, thought id look at the rear drums..

staring off into space I decided I'm not really happy with the drums on the back, i'd really like to rip them off and put

some discs on the rear!

Has anyone done this to a early 70's KE25 coupe? If so any help would be appreciated with what would fit in there :)

also i've never done such an extensive brake upgrade, I take it I will also require new master cylinder? what would be

a good choice for such a conversion?

any help appreciated! :P

p.s I'm planning on sourcing the parts and getting a pro to do it so don't worry i'm not gonna kill myself! :P

Members dont see this ad

its not worth upgrading the rears if you havent done the fronts. and it will affect the braking,

any rear disc upgrade is most likely to have bigger discs than the standard front discs!

and it will probably cost the same if not more to do a rear disc conversion as it would a front

disc upgrade, so id start at the front if you havent already :P

would like to upgrade the discs & calipers on the front as well if anyone knows a good upgrade for a ke25? :P

i had to just stuff around with the current ones to get enough braking power for a wof here in nz (certification) as

the registration has been on hold for nearly a year on the car. I would just feel much happier with discs all around

for my plans with this car.

i'd rather get to the brakes now and have lines & mounting points sorted for everything before the car goes into

panel :)

ke70 brakes are an easy moderate upgrade, do search, otherwise you can change to ta22 struts + brakes or ra60 struts + brakes (strut conversions are a bit of work and may affect geometry though) or a custom setup - dics, calipers and brackets eg magna / mini / pug discs and commodore calipers with custom made brackets etc etc...

G'day Jarsky , Styler is right on there mate ,60 something % of your braking is done by your front brakes

So you have a few options mate , i personally have have VW jetta Discs (265mm vented) adapted to suit the KE2# hub and a cutom bracket made ( Mr Enforcer engineering @ chipping Norton , Sydney ) to take R32 Skyline 4 pot calipers and still experimenting with master cylinders at the moment , but for now i'm trying an old 82 laser/meteor master cylinder it's a 13/16 bore and have been told it will work fine with the big calipers ,

1002089nj5.jpg

the above mentioned "HOPPERS STOPPERS " kit is very good , they say you need a 1' bore master cylinder to use with their kits

or there is this option , AE86 brakes/struts converted

AE86 brakes/struts into KE2# go to "TECH" up top then " SUSPENSION UPGRADE"

or you can put KE70 brake on to you existing struts , which i think just have a bigger discs and vented maybe

Just remember if you change Struts around and change much suspension stuff it will have an effect big or small on handling/steering

Edited by LINDSAY

cheers for the info, had problem with net so havent been able to get on in a few days.

will have a look over the info from both of you. I intend to upgrade the whole brake system, have also seen that brembo do a hub & caliper to suit but haven't yet had a look at pricing...I'm guessing it will be farely expensive! will look into these other options, cheers :P

how big do you want to go?

using the std strut and steering arm will keep suspension geometry unaffected compared to swapping in bigger struts.

dba (disk brakes australia) have an online pdf catalogue with all the sizes of disks.. just need to have a long look through it and see what can be adapted to the back of your hub or sit on top of the front. then fint a suitable caliper the correct width to suit the disk. then make a custom mount for it.

if you haven't done already.. convert your wheel stud pattern to 4x114.3 which is much more common than 4x110. can do this using kp61 front hubs swapped in keeping the std ke25 disk. then get rear axles redrilled or can modify ke3# axles to fit, remove 4-5mm off end of splines and use ke3# drums on top of ke25 internals. you'll have a better selection of disks and wheels for your car

where in NZ are you?

On my old KE10 I was going to fit series 2 Mazda RX7 rear discs (4x110PCD) and use N13 Nissan Pulsar rear calipers with inbuilt handbrake mechanism.

I wasn't to give better braking, just to make it brake in a straight line! Adjusting rear drums evenly sucks!