"lazarust", Bitten Off More Than I Can Chew?

machg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't quote me on this but i have read that when welding like u have on the body only do about 50mm of weld and then stop for awhile to let the metals cool down cause it helps prevent warping. You might already know if u do call be captain obvious.

looking good to have been following ur progress, good luck

cheers

scott

Got heaps done today, removed steering box and engine crossmember (rack and pinion, here I come!) cut out all the remaining rust from the firewall forward, rust converted and fabricated replacement panels for the holes. Tomorrow I'll weld in the panels.

Image003.jpgImage005.jpg

Image002.jpgImage001.jpg

Edited by machg

Faster, easier, safer and more comfortable. Don't you love tax returns?!

Image001-2.jpg

The autodarkening helmet is great help in welding. I used to use them in my class.

They can be hard to use when welding in some awkward position, or in situation when the light at the back is brighter the then welding pieces at the front.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the guy I who was selling the donor car has been very kind (and supportive of project "lazarust") and allowed me to take possesion of "jesus" the donor car and given me some time to come up with the money. "jesus" might be a bit too good to give his life (cut up) for lazarust, LOL. I might just use his less rusty form as a more accurate template for making replacement panels, then remove the parts I need to complete lazarust and sell the rest as a semi-complete car. More details and pics of "jesus" tomorrow.

Picked up an AE71 engine x member today, I will finally be able to start moving forward with lazarust again. Actually, its been good having a donor car ("jesus") to work/play with, because I can try the things that might or might not work on it first (like the "Makita" springs) and if it doesn't work, then I'm not wrecking lazarust.

Edited by machg