Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"lazarust", Bitten Off More Than I Can Chew?

Featured Replies

Definitely gonna need a MIG me thinks...

image000eu7.jpg

Not too bad from a distance, 1 of 5 or 6 in OZ?

 

image001uc3.jpg

Fabrication definitely required

 

image002ox8.jpg

Factory air-conditioning...NOT!

 

image003xc4.jpg

Japanese for "rusty"?

 

image004xv5.jpg

Back end looks much like OZ T18, maybe easiest to cut the whole arse off and weld on T18 metal?

 

image005xp8.jpg

It says "LEVIN", I guess that means I'm O.K. to post on a corolla forum. :wink: Hatch is thankfully relatively rust free, otherwise I would be boned...

 

Oh yeah, can't start work just yet, still at previous owners place, waiting for engine to be pulled.

Someone wish me luck, I am gonna need it.

Edited by machg

  • Replies 155
  • Views 38.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

Registered? ROFLMAO, track/drift pig if its lucky. I will hopefully get papers which would allow registration in the future, but the amount of farting around with little shitty things for rego. would send me insane.

Edited by machg

dude that alot of rust, good luck cutting it all out. its like cancer once its in ther pretty hard to ever get rid of it for good

Thats repairable step 1 is to look around for some old dented up panels bonnets, doors ect

get some of these,

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/bosch/2610917944/

 

mark out some neat squares and triangles on the old panels then practice cutting out the shapes neatly.

 

step 2 will be to fabricate a few patch's for the holes you have cut out. you need to find some 0.8mm steel sheet to practice making patch's. find a sheet metal fabricator they will sell offcuts for beer money.

  • Author
Thats repairable step 1 is to look around for some old dented up panels bonnets, doors ect

get some of these,

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/bosch/2610917944/

 

mark out some neat squares and triangles on the old panels then practice cutting out the shapes neatly.

 

step 2 will be to fabricate a few patch's for the holes you have cut out. you need to find some 0.8mm steel sheet to practice making patch's. find a sheet metal fabricator they will sell offcuts for beer money.

I have donor car...

image158nv7.jpg

...but will practice before I start cutting her up.

I have donor car...

 

...but will practice before I start cutting her up.

I don't Know what your budget is but Have you investigated new rear quarter panels & a tail light panel. It would make a easy job.

  • Author

Going to attempt DIY rwd 4age intake manifold, what sort of metal is a 4age manifold, alloy? What sort of alloy? (for getting welded)

Budget? LOL, have spent $216.50 so far, including the car, wife nearly killed me, "You what? bought another car..."

Edited by machg

Going to attempt DIY rwd 4age intake manifold, what sort of metal is a 4age manifold, alloy? What sort of alloy? (for getting welded)

aluminum can have all sorts of additives, Beryllium to make it strong/ hard or silicon to make it cast smoother or even magnesium. It is best welded with a tig welder, some aluminum has high content of additives makes it hard to weld.

  • Author

Started basic engine prep. today...

fwd bigport manifold + 57mm hole saw = hope I don't f--- this up

 

image000bv0.jpg

 

doesn't look too bad...also removed long studs on the opposite end, "two nuts" ftw, will see why shortly.

 

image001tn0.jpg

 

anything to stop welding the throttle body straight onto the manifold? (Will get pro to do it.)

Edited by machg

Ahhh finally someone got this car. Saw it on ebay, and went OOOOOOO. Its got all the goodies underneath :wink: !

 

Lucky _ man ~ Good luck with the rust

Started basic engine prep. today...

 

anything to stop welding the throttle body straight onto the manifold? (Will get pro to do it.)

 

best to make it removable IMO as it may warp. buy a 10mm alloy plate tap a few threads weld that on.

Just wondering, whats the driveline your gonna run? Obviously ae82 4age once the conversion is done, and I'm guessing a T50 would be the logical option, and what diff does it have? What was the old motor? 4k?, 2t?. No too familiar with those. Is it a te70?

 

Also, what can you use panel wise from an ae82 seca? Are you just gonna use it as raw sheetmetal? Or are some of the pressings the same?

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

  • Author
Just wondering, whats the driveline your gonna run? Obviously ae82 4age once the conversion is done, and I'm guessing a T50 would be the logical option, and what diff does it have? What was the old motor? 4k?, 2t?. No too familiar with those. Is it a te70?

 

Also, what can you use panel wise from an ae82 seca? Are you just gonna use it as raw sheetmetal? Or are some of the pressings the same?

Driveline will (eventually) be 7age, T50, I think its got a ke70 diff. I guess once the body is made O.K. and I can get some $$$ together, I'll chase an AE71 wreck (for obvious reasons). Old engine was a 3TEU (I think) model designation is TE71.

 

Welding throttle body direct would be extremely difficult, parts of the mating surface would be inaccessible with a welder.

Driveline will (eventually) be 7age, T50, I think its got a ke70 diff. I guess once the body is made O.K. and I can get some $$$ together, I'll chase an AE71 wreck (for obvious reasons). Old engine was a 3TEU (I think) model designation is TE71.

 

Welding throttle body direct would be extremely difficult, parts of the mating surface would be inaccessible with a welder.

 

 

Have a good look at the diff, if it was Australian delivered your car may have a diff like our ke70s, except I don't think its an Australian delivered model. Ive seen those in Europe and Japan only so far. So you never know, have a good look at the diff and see what the axle code is on the compliance plate.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.